This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of Fuel Stratification on Spark Assisted Compression Ignition (SACI) Combustion with Ethanol Using High Speed Fuel PLIF
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An engine can be run in Homogenous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) mode by applying a negative valve overlap, thus trapping hot residuals so as to achieve an auto-ignition temperature. By employing spark assistance, the engine can be operated in what is here called Spark Assisted Compression Ignition (SACI) with ethanol as fuel. The influence of fuel stratification by means of port fuel injection as well as in combination with direct injection was investigated.
A high-speed multi-YAG laser system and a framing camera were utilized to capture planar laser-induced fluorescence (PLIF) images of the fuel distribution. The charge homogeneity in terms of fuel distribution was evaluated using a homogeneity index calculated from the PLIF images. The homogeneity index showed a higher stratification for increased proportions of direct-injected fuel.
It was found that charge stratification could be achieved through port fuel injection in a swirling combustion system. For the combined port fuel and direct injection strategy, a strong stratification was demonstrated. Although combustion phasing remained constant, a slight increase in the combustion duration was observed. For increased stratification with direct injection in a base of port-injected fuel, an increased amount of ignition sites could be observed. However, the most fuel-rich regions did not necessarily ignite first. Rather, ignition occurred in the mixing zone between the rich and the leaner regions.
CitationPersson, H., Sjöholm, J., Kristensson, E., Johansson, B. et al., "Study of Fuel Stratification on Spark Assisted Compression Ignition (SACI) Combustion with Ethanol Using High Speed Fuel PLIF," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2401, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-2401.
- Willand J. Nieberding R-G. Vent G. Enderle C. “The knocking Syndrome - Its Cure and its Potential” SAE Paper 982483
- Koopmans L. Denbratt I. “A Four Stroke Camless Engine, Operated in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Mode with Commercial Gasoline” SAE Paper 2001-01-3610
- Fuerhapter A. Piock W. F. Fraidl G. K. “CSI - Controlled Auto Ignition - The Best Solution for the Fuel Consumption - Versus Emission Trade-Off?” SAE Paper 2003-01-0754
- Persson H. Pfeiffer R. Hultqvist A. Johansson B. Ström H. “Cylinder-to-Cylinder and Cycle-to-Cycle Variations at HCCI Operation with Trapped Residuals” SAE Paper 2005-01-0130
- Urushihara T. Yamaguchi K. Yoshizawa K. Itoh T. “A Study of a Gasoline-fueled Compression Ignition Engine ∼ Expansion of HCCI Operation Range Using SI Combustion as a Trigger of Compression Ignition ∼ ” SAE Paper 2005-01-0180
- Andrews G. E. Bradley D. “The Burning Velocity of Methane-Air Mixtures” Combustion & Flame 19 275 288 1972
- Persson H. Rémon A. Johansson B. “The Effect of Swirl on Spark Assisted Compression Ignition (SACI)” JSAE 20077167, SAE Paper 2007-01-1856
- Kumano K. Iida N. “Analysis of the Effect of Charge Inhomogeneity on HCCI Combustion by Chemiluminescence Measurement” SAE Paper 2004-01-1902
- Sjöberg M. Dec J. E. “Smoothing HCCI Heat-Release Rates Using Partial Fuel Stratification with Two-Stage Ignition Fuels” SAE Paper 2006-01-0629
- Thirouard B. Cherel J. Knop V. “Investigation of Mixture Quality Effect on CAI Combustion” SAE Paper 2005-01-0141
- Dec J. E. Sjöberg M. “Isolating the Effects of Fuel Chemistry on Combustion Phasing in an HCCI Engine and the Potential of Fuel Stratification for Ignition Control” SAE Paper 2004-01-1900
- Richter M. Engström J. Franke A. Aldén M. Hultqvist A. Johansson B. “The influence of charge inhomogeneity on the HCCI combustion process” SAE Paper 2000-01-2868
- Hwang W. Dec J. E. Sjöberg M. “Fuel Stratification for Low-Load HCCI Combustion: Performance & Fuel-PLIF Measurements” SAE Paper 2007-01-4130
- Trajkovic S. Milosavljevic A. Tunestål P Johansson B. “FPGA Controlled Pneumatic Variable Valve Actuation” SAE Paper 2006-01-0041
- Schulz, C. Sick, V. “Tracer-LIF diagnostics: quantitative measurement of fuel concentration, temperature and fuel/air ratio in practical combustion systems” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 31 1 75 121 2005
- Thurber, M. C. Grisch, F. Hanson, R. K. “Temperature imaging with single- and dual-wavelength acetone planar laser-induced fluorescence” Optics Letters 22 4 251 253 1997
- Thurber, M. C. Grisch, F. Kirby, B. J. Votsmeier, M. Hanson, R. K. “Measurements and modeling of acetone laser-induced fluorescence with implications for temperature-imaging diagnostics” Applied Optics 37 21 4963 4978 1998
- Thurber, M. C. Hanson, R. K. “Pressure and composition dependences of acetone laser-induced fluorescence with excitation at 248, 266, and 308 nm” Applied Physics B 69 3 229 240 1999
- Grossman, F. Monkhouse, P. B. Ridder, M. Sick, V. Wolfrum, J. “Temperature and pressure dependence of the laser induced fluorescence of gas-phase acetone and 3-pentanone” Applied Physics B 62 3 249 253 1996
- Hultqvist, A. Christensen, M. Johansson, B. Richter, M. Nygren, J. Hult, J. Aldén, M. “The HCCI Combustion Process in a Single Cycle- High-Speed Fuel Tracer LIF and Chemiluminescence Imaging” SAE 2002-01-0424 2002
- Hult, J. Richter, M. Nygren, J. Aldén, M. Hultqvist, A. Christensen, M. Johansson, B. “Application of a high-repetition-rate laser diagnostic system for single-cycle-resolved imaging in internal combustion engines” Applied Optics 41 24 5002 5014 2002
- Collin R. Nygren J. Richter M. Aldén M. Hildingsson L. Johansson B. “The Effect of Fuel Volatility on HCCI using Simultaneous Formaldehyde and OH PLIF” SAE Paper 2004-01-2948
- Richter M. Collin R. Nygren J. Aldén M. Hildingsson L. Johansson B. “Studies of the Combustion Process with Simultaneous Formaldehyde and OH PLIF in a Direct-Injected HCCI Enging” JSME International Journal 18 701 707 2005
- Hyvönen J. Haraldsson G. Johansson B. “Operating Conditions Using Spark Assisted HCCI Combustion During Combustion Mode Transfer to SI in a Multi-Cylinder VCR-HCCI Engine” SAE Paper 2005-01-0109
- Persson H. Rémon A. Hultqvist A Johansson B. “Investigation of the Early Flame Development in Spark Assisted HCCI Combustion Using high Speed Chemiluminescence Imaging” SAE Paper 2007-01-0212
- Berntsson A. Denbratt I. “HCCI Combustion Using Charge Stratification for Combustion Control” SAE Paper 2007-01-0210