This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Inhibition Effect of Ethanol on Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition of Heptane
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2008 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
It is important in the application of bio-ethanol in homogeneous-charge compression ignition (HCCI) engines to investigate the HCCI combustion characteristics of ethanol. As the inhibitory mechanism of ethanol on HCCI combustion is a key factor, simulated chemical reactions are necessary. In this study, chemical reaction simulations in the combustion chamber of a rapid compression machine (RCM) were performed in order to investigate the inhibitory mechanism of ethanol on the HCCI combustion of heptane. The sensitivity analysis results suggested that the OH radical consumption reaction by ethanol that occurs would inhibit the cool flame reaction of heptane. Furthermore, visualization of HCCI combustion with the RCM was conducted using a quartz glass combustion chamber head and ICCD camera. As a result, the cool flame luminescence intensity of heptane was reduced by the addition of ethanol.
CitationHashimoto, K., "Inhibition Effect of Ethanol on Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition of Heptane," SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2504, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-2504.
- Nakata, K. Utsumi, S. Ota, A. Kawatake, K. Kawai, T. Tsunoda, T. “The Effect on Ethanol on a Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Paper, 2006-01-3380 2006
- Hashimoto, K. “Effect of Ethanol on the HCCI Combustion,” JSAE Paper, 20077106 / SAE Paper, 2007-01-2038 2007
- Kamio, J. Kurotani, T. Kuzuoka, K. Kubo, Y. Taniguchi, H. Hashimoto, K. “Study on HCCI-SI Combustion Using Fuels Containing Ethanol,” SAE Paper, 2007-01-4051 2007
- Tanaka, S. Ayala, F. Keck, J. “A reduced chemical kinetic model for HCCI combustion of primary reference fuels in a rapid compression machine” Combustion and Flame 133 467 481 2003
- Tanaka, S. Ayala, F. Keck, J. Heywood, J. “Two-stage ignition in HCCI combustion and HCCI control by fuels and additives,” Combustion and Flame 132 219 239 2003
- Ogura, T. Sakai, Y. Miyoshi, A. Koshi, M. Dagaut, P. “Modeling of the Oxidation of Primary Reference Fuel in the Presence of Oxygenated Octane Improvers: Ethyl Tert-Butyl Ether and Ethanol,” Energy & Fuels 21 3233 3239 2007
- Murase, E. Ono, S. Hanada, K. “Development of a New Compact Rapid Compression Machine for Engine Combustion Research,” Nainenkikan 31 9 13 1992
- Mittal, G. Sung, C. “A Rapid Compression Machine for Chemical Kinetics Studies at Elevated Pressures and Temperatures,” Combustion Science and Technology 179 497 530 2007
- Curran, H. J. Gaffuri, P. Pitz, W. J. Westbrook, C. K. “A Comprehensive Modeling Study of n-Heptane Oxidation,” Combustion and Flame 114 149 177 1998
- Marinov N.M. “A Detailed Chemical Kinetic Model for High Temperature Ethanol Oxidation” International Journal of Chemical Kinetics 31 183 220 1999
- Murase, E. Hanada, K. MIYAURA, T. IKEDA, J. “Experimental Studies of HCCI Combustion (Chemiluminescence Spectral Analysis and Photographic Observation),” COMODIA 2004 303 310 2004