This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Study on the Characteristics of Knock under DI-HCCI Combustion Mode with Ethanol/Gasoline Mixed Fuel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Gasoline homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) can achieve high efficiency and extremely low NOX emissions. However, the working condition range of HCCI is limited by knock occurring during engine operation. To achieve an expanded HCCI working condition range, it is necessary to explore a method predicting knock cases accurately to avoid knock occurring.
Based on a DI-HCCI engine with ethanol/gasoline mixed fuel, the knock cases under different conditions have been investigated. In-cylinder pressure signals are used to identify the knock cases and the knock oscillations are extracted with fast Fourier transform (FFT). The effects of the ethanol proportion in the fuel and air/fuel ratio on the characteristics of knock have been studied.
The results have shown that the knock parameters, such as maximum frequency, start point angle and the duration, have close relationship with the knock intensity. Stronger knock causes higher maximum frequency, earlier start point and longer duration, but will lead to faster attenuations of knock oscillation. Furthermore, air/fuel ratios and the ethanol fraction have effects on the knock intensity. As air/fuel ratio decreases, the knock intensity, frequency and knock probability will be strengthened. When the fraction of ethanol increases, the knock amplitude, frequency and tendency will be impaired due to the high octane number of ethanol, which can also make the knock boundary expand effectively. From the analysis results of combustion phasing CA10 and CA50, it shows that ethanol has significant effect on retarding combustion, which leads to impaired knock. This retarding effect of ethanol is more sensitive with lower intake temperature. In addition, a 0-dimension combustion predicting model was set up in this paper. With the relationships found among knock and combustion parameters, such as air/fuel ratio, ethanol fraction and intake air temperature, the combustion pressure and knock characteristics could be predicted with an error below 10%.
CitationLiu, Y., Shi, X., Deng, J., Chen, Y. et al., "Experimental Study on the Characteristics of Knock under DI-HCCI Combustion Mode with Ethanol/Gasoline Mixed Fuel," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0544, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0544.
- Anthony Robert Lupul William Steady State and Transient Characterization of a HCCI Engine with Varying Octane Fuel Master of science thesis Department of mechanical engineering, University of Alberta Edmonton 2008
- Kakuya , H. , Yamaoka , S. , Kumano , K. , and Sato , S. Investigation of a SI-HCCI Combustion Switching Control Method in a Multi-Cylinder Gasoline Engine SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0792 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0792
- Matthews , J. , Santoso , H. , and Cheng , W. Load Control for an HCCI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0150 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0150
- Mehresha P. , Souder J. , Flowers D. , Riedel U. , Dibble R.W. Combustion timing in HCCI engines determined by ion-sensor: experimental and kinetic modeling Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 30 2 2701 2709 2005 10.1016/j.proci.2004.08.135
- Vressner , A. , Lundin , A. , Christensen , M. , Tunestål , P. et al. Pressure Oscillations During Rapid HCCI Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3217 2003 10.4271/2003-01-3217
- Heywood J B Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGram-Hill Book Company U.S 1988
- Qiang LIU Piezoelectric knock sensor signal analysis and the processing chip simulation Master thesis Automotive engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University Shanghai 2008
- Santoso , H. , Matthews , J. , and Cheng , W. Managing SI/HCCI Dual-Mode Engine Operation SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0162 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0162
- Kuboyama , T. , Moriyoshi , Y. , Hatamura , K. , Takanashi , J. et al. Extension of Operating Range of a Multi-Cylinder Gasoline HCCI Engine using the Blowdown Supercharging System SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 1150 1168 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0896
- Draper , C.S. Pressure Waves Accompanying Detonation in the Internal Combustion Engine Aeronautical Sciences 6 5 219 226 1938
- Anas Mohamed , Paling R. J. Real-time Combustion Knock Processing Using a Single Instruction Multiple Data Automotive PowerPC System-on-a-Chip 5 th IEEE Asian control conference 2004
- TANG Jiang Study on knock control of a HCCI gasoline engine Master thesis Power machinery and engineering, Tianjin University Tianjin 2008
- Brunt , M. , Pond , C. , and Biundo , J. Gasoline Engine Knock Analysis using Cylinder Pressure Data SAE Technical Paper 980896 1998 10.4271/980896
- Borman Gary L. , Ragland Kenneth W. Combustion Engineering McGraw-Hill U.S 9780071159784 1998
- Backman , R. Combustion Model for Rapid Prototyping SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1295 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1295
- Chan Siew Hwa , Zhu J. Modelling of engine in-cylinder thermodynamics under high values of ignition retard International Journal of Thermal Sciences 40 1 94 103 2001