This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on the Effects of EGR Cooler Performance on Combustion Properties of the Pre-mixed Compression Ignition Combustion by Multi Cylinder DI Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 23, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Application of pre-mixed compression ignition (PCI) combustion for multi cylinder DI diesel engine has been reported in a previous paper . On the FTP75 vehicle test cycle, application of the PCI combustion demonstrated a 50% decrease in the NOx level without any deterioration in fuel economy. In this study, PCI combustion properties were investigated under the condition of enhanced heat exchange capability of EGR cooler on multi cylinder DI diesel engine. Test results showed that the exhaust emissions and performance of PCI combustion were improved by increasing heat exchange on EGR cooler and PCI combustion region was expanded to higher load. However, few issues were encountered using higher heat exchange EGR cooler.
CitationIshikawa, N., Ohkubo, Y., and Kudou, K., "Study on the Effects of EGR Cooler Performance on Combustion Properties of the Pre-mixed Compression Ignition Combustion by Multi Cylinder DI Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1881, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1881.
- Ishikawa, N. and Nakada, T., Study of Pre-mixed Compression Ignition combustion on multi cylinder diesel engine, Review of Automotive Engineering, Vol.27, No.4, P.46-53 (2006).
- Tatur, M. et al., Tier 2 Intermediate Useful Life (50,000 Miles) and 4000 Mile Supplemental Federal Test Procedure (SFTP) Exhaust Emission Results for a NOx Adsorber and Diesel Particle Filter Equipped Light-Duty Diesel Vehicle SAE Paper 2005-01-1755.
- Najt, P.M. and Foster, D.E., Compression-Ignited Homogeneous Charge Combustion, SAE Trans., 92, Sec.1, Paper No.830264, (1983).
- Furuya, M., Kawashima, K. and Ohta, Y., A Novel Concept of Ultra-Lean Premixed Compression-Ignition Engine, Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, 62-595, B, p.1240-1246 (1996) (in Japanese with English summary).
- Takeda, Y. et al., Emission Characteristics of Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion with Extremely Early Staged Fuel Injection, SAE Paper 961163.
- Yanagihara, H., A simultaneous reduction of NOx and soot in diesel engines under a new combustion system (uniform bulky combustion system-UNIBUS), 17th International Vienna Motor Symposium, p. 303-314, (1996).
- Walter, B. and Gatellier, B., Development of the High Power NADI™ Concept Using Dual Mode Diesel Combustion to Achieve Zero NOx and Particulate Emissions. SAE paper 2002-01-1744, (2002).
- Okude, K. et al., Premixed Compression Ignition (PCI) Combustion for Simultaneous Reduction of NOx and Soot in Diesel Engine, SAE Paper 2004-01-1907, (2004).
- Wåhlin, F. et al., Effect of Injection Pressure and Engine Speed on Air/Fuel Mixing and Emissions in a Pre-Mixed Compression Ignited (PCI) Engine Using Diesel Fuel, SAE Paper 2004-01-2989, (2004).
- Potter, M. and Durrett, R, High-Efficiency Clean Combustion Design for Compression Ignition Engines, 2006 Diesel Engine-Efficiency and Emissions Research (DEER) Conference, http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/pdfs/deer_2006/session8/2006_deer_potter.pdf, (2006).
- Onishi, S. et al., Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion (ATAC) -A New Combustion Process for Internal Combustion Engines, SAE Trans.,88, Sec.2, Paper No.790501, (1979).
- Shimazaki, N., et al., Dual mode combustion concept with premixed diesel combustion by direct injection near top dead center, SAE 2003 Transactions Journal on Engines, 2003-01-0742, (2003)
- Ishikawa, N. et al., DI Diesel Emission Control by Optimized Fuel Injection, SAE Paper 2004-01-0117, (2004).
- Ishii, Y. et al., Prediction of DI Diesel Engine Emissions by Multidimensional Simulation, SAE Paper No.980130, (1998).
- Akihama, K. et al., Mechanism of the Smokeless Rich Diesel Combustion by Reducing Temperature, SAE paper 2001-01-0655, (2001).
- Kitabatake, R., Shimazaki, N. and Nishimura, T., Expansion of Premixed Compression Ignition Combustion Region by Supercharging Operation and Lower Compression Ratio Piston, Transactions of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan, Vol.37, No.5, p.119-124 (2006) (in Japanese with English summary)