This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of the Operating Range of Partially Premixed Combustion in a Multi Cylinder Heavy Duty Engine with Extensive EGR
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Partially Premixed Combustion (PPC) is a combustion concept by which it is possible to get low smoke and NOx emissions simultaneously. PPC requires high EGR levels and injection timings sufficiently early or late to extend the ignition delay so that air and fuel mix extensively prior to combustion. This paper investigates the operating region of single injection diesel PPC in a multi cylinder heavy duty engine resembling a standard build production engine. Limits in emissions and fuel consumption are defined and the highest load that fulfills these requirements is determined. Experiments are carried out at different engine speeds and a comparison of open and closed loop combustion control are made as well as evaluation of an extended EGR-cooling system designed to reduce the EGR temperature.
In this study the PPC operating range proved to be limited. The highest loads that fulfilled the emission criteria correspond to 30% of maximum load for conventional combustion at low speed and 21% of maximum load for conventional combustion at high speed. The effect of changes in combustion control was small while a reduced EGR temperature could increase the operating range significantly.
CitationLewander, M., Johansson, B., Tunestål, P., Keeler, N. et al., "Evaluation of the Operating Range of Partially Premixed Combustion in a Multi Cylinder Heavy Duty Engine with Extensive EGR," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1127, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1127.
- Kimura S. Aoki O. Ogawa H. Muranaka S. Enomoto Y. “New Combustion Concept for Ultra Clean and High-Efficiency Small DI Diesel Engines,” SAE Paper 1999-01-3681 , SAE Transactions 108 3 2128 2137 1999
- Kimura S. Aoki O. Kitahara Y. Aiyoshizawa E. “Ultra-Clean Combustion Technology Combining a Low-Temperature and Premixed Combustion Concept for Meeting Future Emission Standards,” SAE Paper 2001-01-0200 , SAE Transactions 110 4 239 248 2001
- Akihama K. Takatori Y. Inagaki K. Sasaki S. Dean A. M. “Mechanism of the Smokeless Rich Diesel Combustion by Reducing Temperature,” SAE Paper 2001-01-0655 , SAE Transactions 110 3 648 662 2001
- Shimazaki N. Tsurushima T. Nishimura T. “Dual Mode Combustion Concept with Premixed Diesel Combustion by Direct Injection Near Top Dead Center,” SAE Paper 2003-01-0742 , SAE Transactions 112 3 1060 1069 2003
- Okude K. Mori K. Shiino S. Moriya T. “Premixed Compression Ignition (PCI) Combustion for Simultaneous Reduction of NOx and Soot in Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper 2004-01-1907 , SAE Transactions 113 4 1002 1013 2004
- Musculus Mark P. B. “Multiple Simultaneous Optical Diagnostic Imaging of Early-Injection Low-Temperature Combustion in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper 2006-01-0079 , SAE Transactions 115 3 83 110 2006
- Ogawa H. Noboru M. Shimizu H. Kido S. “Characteristics of Diesel Combustion in Low Oxygen Mixtures with Ultra-High EGR,” SAE Paper 2006-01-1147 , SAE SP, No. 2002 89 96 2006
- Kitabatake R. Shimazaki N. Nishimura T. “Expansion of Premixed Compression Ignition Combustion Region by Supercharging Operation and Lower Compression Ratio Piston,” SAE Paper 2007-01-3614
- Heywood J. B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals,” McGraw-Hill New York 1988
- Lewander M. Ekholm K. Johansson B. Tunestål P. Milovanovic N. Keeler N. Harcombe T. Bergstrand P. “Investigation of the Combustion Characteristics with Focus on Partially Premixed Combustion in a Heavy Duty Engine,” SAE Paper 2008-01-1658
- Lewander M. Johansson B. Tunestål P. Keeler N. Milovanovic N. Bergstrand P. “Closed Loop Control of a Partially Premixed Combustion Engine using Model Predictive Control Strategies,” Proceedings of AVEC '08
- de Ojeda W. Zoldak P. Espinosa R. Kumar R. “Development of a Fuel Injection Strategy for Diesel LTC,” SAE Paper 2008-01-0057
- Yun H. Sellnau M. Milovanovic N. Zuelch S. “Development of Premixed Low-Temperature Diesel Combustion in a HSDI Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper 2008-01-0639
- Benajes J. Molina S. Novella R. Arthozoul S. “Advanced Injection Strategies to Attain Partially Premixed Combustion Process in a Heavy Duty Engine,” SAE Paper 2008-01-0642