This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Development of a Software Module for Analysis of Three Dimensional Piston Ring Wear
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
Increasing oil prices and more stringent emission laws require an improved efficiency from future automotive engines. Additionally, the competition of the automotive market demands longer service intervals and engine life-times.
A potential to decrease the specific fuel consumption and improve specific volume is offered by means of increasing engine speed and maximum cylinder pressure. Hence, the mechanical stress on the tribological system including the piston, piston rings, cylinder liner, are increased and the reliability decreases.
The objective of this research is the development of a mathematical model implemented in software, which can deliver a prediction of piston ring wear in internal combustion engines.
The program has been applied to a top compression piston ring of a turbo charged Diesel engine at WOT operation conditions.
CitationPint, S. and Schock, H., "Design and Development of a Software Module for Analysis of Three Dimensional Piston Ring Wear," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0920, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0920.
- “A Review of Present Information on Piston Ring Tribology,” Ting L.L. SAE Paper No. 852355
- Hannoschoeck Nikolaus ETH Zuerich 1984
- Knopf Martin RWTH - Aachen 1996
- Development And Analysis Of A Fire Ring Wear, Model For A Piston Engine Chung Yooseok Engine Research Laboratory, Michigan State University 1992
- Contact And Rubbing Of Flat Surfaces Archard J. F. Journal Of Applied Physics 24 8 August 1953
- Interdisciplinary Approach to Friction and Wear Archand J.F. 1967 Symposium Southwest Research Institute San Antonio, Texas
- TRIBOLOGY DATA Handbook Booser E. Richard Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Eng, neers, CRC Press 456 1997
- Cylinder Kit Analysis System for Engines (CASE) User Manual and Theoretical Manual Mid Michigan Research Okemos, Michigan December 1998
- Ring Pack And Oil Consumption Modeling In IC Engines Ejakov Mikhail Aleksandrovich Engine Research Laboratory, Michigan State University 1998