This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Prediction of Fluid Motion in the Induction System and the Cylinder in Reciprocating Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a multidimensional computer program for simulating fluid dynamics in reciprocating internal combustion engines. The numerical procedure uses a time-dependent implicit finite-difference approach in a general curvilinear coordinate system on a grid which may expand and contract with the motion of the intake valve and piston. In this program, special attention has been paid to take into account complex geometries : the computational domain includes the intake port and the cylinder, the motion and closure of the valve are described, the piston may contain a bowl.
The intake process followed by compression in two- and three-dimensional direct injection four stroke diesel engine configurations are simulated. The results show that the program is applicable to characterize flow structure simultaneously in the intake port and the cylinder.
|Technical Paper||A Solution for Cylinder Wall Scuffing|
|Technical Paper||Design and Development of a Software Module for Analysis of Three Dimensional Piston Ring Wear|
|Technical Paper||PIFFO - Piston Friction Force Measurements During Engine Operation|
CitationPaul, E., "Numerical Prediction of Fluid Motion in the Induction System and the Cylinder in Reciprocating Engines," SAE Technical Paper 870594, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/870594.
SAE 1987 Transactions: Reciprocating Engines--Spark Ignition and Diesel
Number: V96-4; Published: 1988-09-01
Number: V96-4; Published: 1988-09-01
- Gosman A.D. Watkins A.P. “A computer prediction method for turbulent flow and heat transfer in piston/cylinder assemblies” Proc. of Symposium on Turbulent Shear Flows. Penn State University
- Gosman A.D. Tsui Y.Y. Watkins A.P. “Calculation of three-dimensional air motion in model engines” SAE paper 840229
- Griffin M.D. Anderson J.D. Diwakar R. “Navier-Stokes solution of the flowfield in an internal combustion engine” AIAA Journal 14 12 December 1976
- Ramos J.I. Sirignano W.A. “Axisymmetric flow model in a piston-cylinder arrangement with detailed analysis of the valve region” SAE paper 800286
- El Tahry S. H. “Numerical study on the effects of fluid motion at inlet-valve closure on subsequent fluid motion in a motored engine” SAE paper 820035
- Brandstätter W. Johns R.J.R. Wigley G. “The effect of inlet port geometry on in-cylinder flow structure” SAE Paper 850499
- O'Rourke P.J. “The KIVA computer program for multidimensional chemically reactive fluid flows with fuel sprays” Symposium INRIA Sophia-Antipolis May 1985
- Nishiwaki K. “Prediction of three-dimensional fluid motions during intake process and swirl ratios in four-cycle engines” COMODIA 85 Symposium Tokyo September 4-6, 1985
- Wakisaka T. Shimamoto Y. Isshiki Y. “Three-dimensional numerical analysis of in-cylinder flows in reciprocating engines” SAE paper 860464
- Muxart J. “Ecoulement autour de la soupape d'un moteur Diesel, Définition et qualification de la méthode de calcul” ONERA Report n° 2/3481 June 1980
- Viviand H. “Forme conservative des équations de la dynamlque des gaz. La Recherche Aérospatiale n° 1 1974
- Yanenko N.N. “The method of fractional steps” Springer-Verlag Berlin 1971
- Beam R.M. Warming R.F. “On the construction and application of implicit factored schemes for conservation Laws” SIAM-AMS Proceedings 11 1978
- Laval P. “Théorie et méthodes numériques de résolution des équations aux dérivees partielles” ONERA Note Technique 1979
- Thompson J.F. “Grid generation techniques in computational fluid dynamics” AIAA Journal 22 11 November 1984
- Muxart J. Errera M. “Ecoulement autour de la soupape d'admission d'un moteur Diesel. Définition du maillage. Présentation du montage expérimental” ONERA Report n° 3/3481 November 1981
- Errera M. Janssens G. Ecoulement autour de la soupape d 1 admission et dans la chambre de combustion d'un moteur Diesel” Entropie n° 122 1985