This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Tracer Method for Study of Exhaust Hydrocarbons - Combustion of Fuel-Oil Mixtures in a Wankel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1968 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A proposal for a tracer method to be used in the investigation of fuel effects is made. In addition, preliminary results of a tracer investigation of exhaust emissions in a Wankel engine which burns an oil-fuel mixture (NSU KKM 507/3) are reported. It is hoped that the tracer technique proposed here will be able to elucidate the nature of the chemistry of the combustion process in engines, in particular those processes leading to atmospheric pollution. The initial study examined the relative contribution of each component of an oil-fuel mixture to incompletely burned material in the exhaust. It was found that the oil contributed a disproportionate amount to the total emissions prior to an engine overhaul when the rotor seals were replaced. Subsequent to this the proportion of incompletely burned material attributed to the oil was the same as the proportion of oil in the initial oil-fuel mixture.
CitationCaretto, L., Starkman, E., and Chin, R., "A Tracer Method for Study of Exhaust Hydrocarbons - Combustion of Fuel-Oil Mixtures in a Wankel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 680112, 1968, https://doi.org/10.4271/680112.
- Daniel W. A. “Engine Variable Effects on Exhaust Hydrocarbon Composition (A Single Cylinder Engine Study with Propane as the Fuel).” Paper 670124 presented at SAE Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit January 1967
- Pahnke, A. J. et al. “Effect of Gasoline Composition on Exhaust Emissions of a Vehicle with Air Injection.” Paper presented at 152nd National Meeting, ACS, New York September 1966
- McReynolds L. A. Alquist H. E. Wimmer D. B. “Hydrocarbon Emissions and Reactivity as Functions of Fuel and Engine Variables,” Paper 650250 presented at SAE Mid-Year Meeting, Chicago May 1967
- Cullis C. F. Fish A. Trimm D. L. “Isotopic Carbon as a Tracer in Combustion Research,” Ninth Symposium (International) on Combustion New York Academic Press 1963 167 176
- Cooper D. E. Courtney R. L. Hall C. A. “Radioactive Tracers Cast New Light on Fuel Distribution,” SAE Transactions 67 1959 619 639
- Starkman E. S. “A Radiotracer Study of Lubricating Oil Consumption” SAE Transactions 69 1961 86 100
- Bigeleisen J. Wolfsberg M. “Theoretical and Experimental Aspects of Isotope Effects in Chemical Kinetics.” 1 1958 15 76
- McFadden W. H. “Introduction of Gas Chromatographic Samples to a Mass Spectrometer,” 1 1966 723 746
- Gordon B. E. Madison J. J. “Conditions for High Yield in the Labeling of Hydrocarbons by Exchange,” Advances in Tracer Methodology 2 Plenum Press 1965 21 28