This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An approach to front collisions between passenger vehicles and commercial vehicles, with emphasis on front bumpers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 31, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Recent studies in the USA show 2800 passenger casualties/year, due to automobiles and light vehicles impacting against the front structure of medium and heavy trucks at speeds over 45 mph.
This same driver or passenger leaves the vehicle and becomes a pedestrian. What is being done in the automotive industry to face this situation? What improvements can be expected in automobiles, trucks and buses in the XXI century?
The results obtained in this work show that it is possible and very important for new projects and modernization of commercial vehicles (trucks and buses) to introduce a front bumper concept foreseeing the Passive Safety of third parties (passenger vehicles).
|Technical Paper||Reducing Truck and Bus Losses - Neglected Countermeasures|
|Technical Paper||Special Guardrails to Contain and Redirect Large Trucks and Buses: An Italian Project|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Steady-State Circular Test Procedure for Trucks and Buses|
Citationdos Santos, P. and Onusic, H., "An approach to front collisions between passenger vehicles and commercial vehicles, with emphasis on front bumpers," SAE Technical Paper 973078, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/973078.
- ADIV, A ERVIN, R.D. 1989 Examination of features proposed for improving truck safety The University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute Michigan The University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute 66
- N.H.T.S.A. 1992 Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, Rear Impact Guards; Rear Impact Protection
- MURRAY, N. W. 1988 Study of car-truck impacts and feasibility of fitting energy-absorbing guards to heavy trucks Monash University, Dept. of Civil Engineering
- ONUSIC. H. CAMPOS J.A.P. Santos P. S. P. 1996 Considerations concerning vehicle collisions through simplified calculations of the impact forces SAE paper 962324
- N.H.T.S.A. PRASAD, ALOKE K. CLARKE. ROBERT M. WILKE DONALD W. MONK, MICHAEL W. 1995 Reducing Heavy Truck Aggressivity in Collisions with Passenger Cars
- MAC LAUGHIM THOMAS et al 1993 Vehicle Interactions with Pedestrians - Spriger Verlag - In Accidental Injury
- APARICIO J. et al ISA PROCEEDINGS 1994 The Severity of the frontal collisions with Heavy Goods Vehicles
- SCHRIWER T. ALBER P. 1994 Development of an energy absorbing front underrun guard for trucks ISA Proceedings
- N.H.T.S.A. CLARKE R. M. LEASURE W. A. JR. RADLINSKI, R. W. SMITH M. 1987 Heavy Truck Safety Study
- PRASAD, A. K. GUGLIELMI, J. D. MONK M. W. 1992 A Study of the Heavy Truck to Light Vehicle Accident Environment
- N.H.T.S.A. MENDIS, K. ANANDAN, V. MANI. A. 1993 Reducing Heavy Truck Aggressivity Design Guidance using Computer Simulation