This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Special Guardrails to Contain and Redirect Large Trucks and Buses: An Italian Project
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1987 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In Italy, the notable increase in serious road accidents caused by freight vehicles has accentuated the need to renew radically the design of safety structures.
Recent programs to enlarge the major freeway network, however, have permitted experimentation of new types of guardrails, providing the stimulus to organize the road platform in new ways, better adapted to the current reality and capable of reducing the more harmful effects of serious collisions on vehicle occupants.
This report thus describes certain solutions proposed for the arrangement of the median and the borders of bridges, exploiting the “ductility” characteristics of certain materials (e.g. soil) in combination with certain other technical devices suggested for bridge guardrails, in the attempt to improve the compatibility between the vehicles (especially heavy vehicles) and the characteristics of the infrastructure.
CitationCamomilla, G., Malgarini, M., and Ranzo, A., "Special Guardrails to Contain and Redirect Large Trucks and Buses: An Italian Project," SAE Technical Paper 870230, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/870230.
- OLSON R.M. POST E.R. McFARLAND W.F. “Tentative service requirements for bridge rail systems” N.C.H.R.P.R. 86 H.R.S. Washington, D.C. 1970
- HIRSH T.J. “Analytical evaluation of Texas bridge rail to contain buses and trucks” R.R. 230-2 T.T.I. College Station, Texas 1978
- DEWEY J.F. JEYAPALAN J.K. HIRSCH T.J. ROSS H.E. Jr. “A study of the soil structure interaction behaviour of highway guardraii posts” R.R. 343-1 T.T.I. College Station, Texas 1983
- CAMOMILLA G. GIRELLI G.L. “Grandi cantieri sotto traffico” 4 Rivista AUTOSTRADE Rome 1984
- ARNOLD A. HIRSCH T.J. “Bridge deck designs for railing impacts” R.R. 295-IF T.T.I. College Station, Texas 1985
- B.S. 6579 BRITISH STANDARD FOR SAFETY FENCES AND BARRIERS FOR HIGHWAYS B.S.I. London 1985
- RANZO A. “Traffic barriers and safety problems in Italy at present” Informal presentation at T.R.B. Meeting 1986 Committee A2A04 Washington, D.C. 1986
- CAMOMILLA G. “Le barriere delgi anni '80” 3 Rivista AUTOSTRADE Rome 1986
- FAENZI F. MALGARINI M. “Evoluzione delle barriere di sicurezza sulla rete della Soc. AUTOSTRADE” 7/8 Rivista AUTOSTRADE Rome 1986
- RANZO A. “I pesanti stradali e le barriere antisvio” 6/10 Rivista AUTOSTRADE Rome 1986