This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Safety Performance of a Rear Seat Belt System with Optimized Seat Cushion Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 01, 1981 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A rear seat belt system with a submarining-preventing seat design was developed. The seat has a contoured floor pan with a pronounced ridge at the front end and a seat belt with carefully located attachment points.
Sled tests simulating 30 mph barrier crashes were run with both a standard Part 572 dummy and a Part 572 dummy with a modified pelvis. Both dummies had pelvis mounted submarining indicators.
Comparative tests were run with a rear seat with a flat floor pan.
The tests proved the efficacy of the ridge type seat in preventing submarining as well as giving low injury criteria.
The modified pelvis was found to have submarining characteristics slightly different from the Part 572 pelvis. Under certain conditions the submarining indicators were capable of detecting when the lap belt loads the abdomen, but failed in some cases where the pelvis rotation was excessive.
|Technical Paper||Reference PMHS Sled Tests to Assess Submarining|
|Technical Paper||The Effect of Pretensioning and Age on Torso Rollout in Restrained Human Volunteers in Far-Side Lateral and Oblique Loading|
|Technical Paper||A Passive Safety Belt System|
CitationLundell, B., Mellander, H., and Carlsson, I., "Safety Performance of a Rear Seat Belt System with Optimized Seat Cushion Design," SAE Technical Paper 810796, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/810796.
- WaltzF.H., NiedererP.F., “Severely or Fatally Injured Rear Seat Car Passengers (OAIS ≥2) in Switzerland during 1976”. Proc. of 22nd AAAM Conf., July 10-14, 1978.
- HuelkeD.F., LawsonT.E., “The Rear Seat Automobile Passenger in Frontal Crashes”. Proc. of 22nd AAAM Conf., July 10-14, 1978.
- NorinH., Nilsson-EhleA., SaretokE., TingvallC., “Injury - Reducing Effect of Seat Belts on Rear Seat Occupants”. 8th ESV Conf., October 21-24, 1980.
- NiedererP., WaltzF., ZollingerU., “Adverse Effects of Seat Belts and Causes of Belt Failures in Severe Car Accidents in Switzerland During 1976”. Proc. of 21st Stapp Car Crash Conf., October 19-21, 1977.
- LeungY.C., TarriereC., FayonA., MairesseP., DelmasA., BanzetP., “A Comparison Between Part 572 Dummy and Human Subject in the Problem of Submarining”. Proc. of 23rd Stapp Car Crash Conf., October 17-191979.
- JakschF.O., “The Steering Characteristics of the Volvo Concept Car”. 8th ESV Conf., October 21-241980.
- StatesJ.D., “Safety Belts and Seat Design - An Insight from Racing”. Proc. of 24th AAAM Conf., October 1980.
- AdomeitD., HegerA., “Motion Sequence Criteria and Design Proposal for Restraint Devices in Order to Avoid Unfavourable Biomechanic Conditions and Submarining”. Proc. of 19th Stapp Car Crash Conf., November 17-19, 1975.
- AdomeitD., “Seat Design - A Significant Factor for Safety Belt Effectiveness”. Proc. of 23rd Stapp Car Crash Conf., October 17-19, 1979.