This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Reference PMHS Sled Tests to Assess Submarining
Published November 9, 2015 by The Stapp Association in United States
Annotation ability available
Sled tests focused on pelvis behavior and submarining can be found in the literature. However, they were performed either with rigid seats or with commercial seats. The objective of this study was to get reference tests to assess the submarining ability of dummies in more realistic conditions than on rigid seat, but still in a repeatable and reproducible setup. For this purpose, a semi-rigid seat was developed, which mimics the behavior of real seats, although it is made of rigid plates and springs that are easy to reproduce and simulate with an FE model. In total, eight PMHS sled tests were performed on this semi-rigid seat to get data in two different configurations: first in a front seat configuration that was designed to prevent submarining, then in a rear seat configuration with adjusted spring stiffness to generate submarining.
All subjects sustained extensive rib fractures from the shoulder belt loading. No pelvis fractures and no submarining were observed in the front seat configuration, but two subjects sustained lumbar vertebrae fractures. In the rear seat configuration, all subjects sustained pelvic fractures and demonstrated submarining. Corridors were constructed for the external forces and the PMHS kinematics. They are provided in this paper as new reference tests to assess the biofidelity of human surrogates in different configurations that either result in submarining or do not.
In future, it is intended to analyze further seat and restraint system configurations to be able to define a submarining predictor.
- Jérôme Uriot - CEESAR
- Pascal Potier - CEESAR
- Pascal Baudrit - CEESAR
- Xavier Trosseille - LAB PSA Peugeot-Citroën Renault
- Philippe Petit - LAB PSA Peugeot-Citroën Renault
- Olivier Richard - Faurecia Automotive Seating
- Sabine Compigne - Toyota Motor Europe NV/SA
- Mitsutoshi Masuda - Toyota Motor Corporation
- Richard Douard - Université René Descartes
CitationUriot, J., Potier, P., Baudrit, P., Trosseille, X. et al., "Reference PMHS Sled Tests to Assess Submarining," SAE Technical Paper 2015-22-0008, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-22-0008.
- Charpail, E., Trosseille, X., Petit, P., Laporte, S., Lavaste, F., Vallancien, G. (2005) Characterization of PMHS ribs: a new test methodology. Stapp Car Crash Journal 49: 183-198.
- Horsch, J.D., and Hering, W.E. (1989) A Kinematic Analysis of Lap belt Submarining for Test Dummies, Proceedings of the 33rd Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE paper n° 892441.
- Kallieris, D., Mellander, H., Schmidt, G., Barz, J., Mattern, R. (1982) Comparison between frontal impact tests with cadavers and dummies in a simulated true car restrained environment, Proceedings of the 26th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE paper n° 821170, Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Leung, Y.C., Tarrière, C., Fayon, A., Mairesse, P., Delmas, A., Banzet, P. (1979) A Comparison Between Part 572 Dummy and Human Subject in the problem of Submarining, Proceedings of the 23rd Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE paper n° 791026.
- Luet, C., Trosseille, X., Drazétic, P., Potier, P., Vallancien, G. (2012) Kinematics and Dynamics of the Pelvis in the Process of Submarining using PMHS Sled Tests. Stapp Car Crash Journal 56: 411-442.
- Michaelson, J., Forman, J., Kent, R., Kuppa, S. (2008) Rear seat occupant safety: kinematics and injury of PMHS restrained by a standard 3-point belt in frontal crashes, Stapp Car Crash Journal 52: 295-325.
- Potier, P. (2010) Contribution méthodologique à la thanatomécanique et à la thanatométrologie, Thèse Génie Mécanique.
- Richard, O., Uriot, J., Trosseille, X., Sokolowski, M. Occupant restraint optimisation in frontal crash to mitigate the risk of submarining in out-of-position situation. Proceedings of IRCOBI Conference, 2015, Lyon.
- Rouhana, S.W., Horsch, J.D., Kroell, C.K. (1989) Assessment of Lap-Shoulder Belt Restraint Performance in Laboratory Testing, Proceedings of the 33rd Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE paper n° 892439.
- Society of Automotive Engineers (2014) SAE J 211-1: Instrumentation for Impact Test - Part 1 -Electronic Instrumentation, Society of Automotive Engineers.
- Uriot, J., Baudrit, P., Potier, P., Trosseille, X., Petit, P., Guillemot, H., Guérin, L., Vallancien, G., Investigations on the Bet-to-Pelvis Interaction in Case of Submarining. Strapp Car Crash Journal, 2006, Vol 50, pp 53-73.
- Uriot, J., Potier, P., Baudrit, P., Trosseille, X., Richard, O., Douard, R. (2015) Comparison of HII, HIII and THOR dummy responses with respect to PMHS sled tests. Proceedings of IRCOBI Conference, 2015, Lyon.