This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Impact of GDI Injector Deposits on Engine Combustion and Emission
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 08, 2017 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Gasoline direct injection (GDI) engine technology is now widely used due to its high fuel efficiency and low CO2 emissions. However, particulate emissions pose one challenge to GDI technology, particularly in the presence of fuel injector deposits.
In this paper, a 4-cylinder turbocharged GDI engine in the Chinese market was selected and operated at 2000rpm and 3bar BMEP condition for 55 hours to accumulate injector deposits. The engine spark timing, cylinder pressure, combustion duration, brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC), gaseous pollutants which include total hydro carbon (THC), NOx (NO and NO2) and carbon dioxide (CO), and particulate emissions were measured before and after the injector fouling test at eight different operating conditions.
Test results indicated that mild injector fouling can result in an effect on engine combustion and emissions despite a small change in injector flow rate and pulse width. It was found that the combustion duration increased with a decrease of combustion efficiency and higher BSFC. Higher NOx emission and lower THC emission can be found when injector is fouled. Particulate number (PN) emissions at high engine load significantly increases after the accumulation of the injector deposits.
- Haichun Ding - Tsinghua University
- Wenbin Zhang - Tsinghua University
- Xiao Ma - Tsinghua University
- Shi-Jin Shuai - Tsinghua University
- Vinod Natarajan - Shell Global Solutions (US) Inc.
- Bin Zheng - Shell (Shanghai) Technology Limited
- Alex Cantlay - Shell (Shanghai) Technology Limited
- Zhang Song Zhan - Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
- Bin Liu - Chongqing Changan Automobile Co., Ltd.
CitationDing, H., Zhang, W., Ma, X., Shuai, S. et al., "The Impact of GDI Injector Deposits on Engine Combustion and Emission," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2248, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2248.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
|Unnamed Dataset 7|
|Unnamed Dataset 8|
- Spicher , U. , Reissing , J. , Kech , J. , and Gindele , J. Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) Engines - Development Potentialities SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-2938 1999 10.4271/1999-01-2938
- ASD Reports Fuel Injection Systems Market By Technology (Port Fuel, GDI, Direct Diesel), Engine Type (Gasoline, Diesel), Geography, Vehicle Type & Component: Global Trends & Forecast To 2018 2013
- Neame , G. , Gardiner , D. , Mallory , R. , Rao , V. et al. Improving the Fuel Economy of Stoichiometrically Fuelled S.I. Engines by Means of EGR and Enhanced Ignition - A Comparison of Gasoline, Methanol and Natural Gas SAE Technical Paper 952376 1995 10.4271/952376
- Bonatesta F , Chiappetta E , Rocca A L Part-load particulate matter from a GDI engine and the connection with combustion characteristics[J] Applied Energy 2014 124 1 366 376
- Mathis U , Mohr M , Forss A M Comprehensive particle characterization of modern gasoline and diesel passenger cars at low ambient temperatures[J] Atmospheric Environment 2005 39 1 107 117
- Karamangil M I , Taflan R A Experimental investigation of effect of corrosion on injected fuel quantity and spray geometry in the diesel injection nozzles[J] Fuel 2013 112 10 531 536
- Smith , S. and Imoehl , W. Measurement and Control of Fuel Injector Deposits in Direct Injection Gasoline Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2616 2013 10.4271/2013-01-2616
- Arters , D. and Macduff , M. The Effect on Vehicle Performance of Injector Deposits in a Direct Injection Gasoline Engine SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2021 2000 10.4271/2000-01-2021
- Aradi , A. , Colucci , W. , Scull , H. , and Openshaw , M. A Study of Fuel Additives for Direct Injection Gasoline (DIG) Injector Deposit Control SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2020 2000 10.4271/2000-01-2020
- Steimle F , Kulzer A , Richter H et al. Systematic Analysis and Particle Emission Reduction of Homogeneous Direct Injection SI Engines[M] VS Verlag für Sozialwissenschaften 2013
- Berndorfer , A. , Breuer , S. , Piock , W. , and Von Bacho , P. Diffusion Combustion Phenomena in GDi Engines caused by Injection Process SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0261 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0261
- Wang C , Xu H , Herreros J M et al. Impact of fuel and injection system on particle emissions from a GDI engine[J] Applied Energy 2014 132 132 178 191
- Von Bacho , P. , Sofianek , J. , Galante-Fox , J. , and McMahon , C. Engine Test for Accelerated Fuel Deposit Formation on Injectors Used in Gasoline Direct Injection Engines SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1495 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1495
- Joedicke , A. , Krueger-Venus , J. , Bohr , P. , Cracknell , R. et al. Understanding the Effect of DISI Injector Deposits on Vehicle Performance SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0391 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0391
- Wen , Y. , Wang , Y. , Fu , C. , Deng , W. et al. The Impact of Injector Deposits on Spray and Particulate Emission of Advanced Gasoline Direct Injection Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2284 2016 10.4271/2016-01-2284
- Wang B , Jiang Y , Hutchins P et al. Numerical analysis of deposit effect on nozzle flow and spray characteristics of GDI injectors[J] Applied Energy 2017
- Zaccardi J M , Escudie D Overview of the main mechanisms triggering low-speed pre-ignition in spark-ignition engines[J] International Journal of Engine Research 2014 16 2 152 165
- Montajir , R. , Kawai , T. , Goto , Y. , and Odaka , M. Thermal Conditioning of Exhaust Gas: Potential for Stabilizing Diesel Nano-Particles SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0187 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0187