This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
EPAS System Tests Using Rack Force Models
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Evaluation of electric steering (EPAS) system performance using vehicle specific load conditions is important for steering system design validation and vehicle steering performance tuning. Using real-time vehicle dynamics mathematical models is one approach for generating steering loads in steering hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) testing. However achieving a good correlation of simplified mathematical models with real vehicle dynamics is a challenge.
Using rack force models from measured steering tie rod forces or from simulations using a high-fidelity vehicle dynamics model is an effective data-driven modelling method for testing EPAS systems under vehicle specific load conditions. Rack force models are identified from physical measurements or validated vehicle simulations of selected steering test maneuvers. The rack force models have been applied in steering system performance evaluation, benchmarking, and steering model validation.
CitationWang, D. and Esser, F., "EPAS System Tests Using Rack Force Models," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1544, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1544.
- Data, S., “Identification of steering system parameters by experimental measurements processing”, Proc. Inst. Mech. Engrs., Vol 218 Part D, J. Automotive Engineering, 2004
- Heathershaw, A., "Developments in On-Centre Steering Evaluation and Testing," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0796, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0796.
- Honish, A., Lugert, M., Schoening, and T., Hakuli, S., “Improvement of Steering Feel Virtual Approach with HIL”, Springer Automotive Media Wiebaden GmbH, 2015
- Kwon, J. and Park, K., "Development of the Hardware-in-the Loop Simulator for Evaluating Performance of EPS System," SAE Technical Paper 2011-28-0139, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-28-0139.
- Lee, S. and Roh, E., "Research on the Rig Tests for Evaluation of Steering Response of Electric Power Steering(EPS) Sub-System," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1920, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-1920.
- Segawa, M., Nakano, S., Shino, M., and Nagai, M., "Preliminary Study Concerning Quantitative Analysis of Steering System Using Hardware-in-the-Loop (HIL) Simulator," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1186, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-1186.
- Toyohira, T., Nakamura, K., and Tanno, Y., "The Validity of EPS Control System Development using HILS," SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0008, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0008.
- Tsushima, M., Kitahara, E., Shiiba, T., and Motosugi, T., "Development of Hardware-In-the-Loop Simulation System for Steering Evaluation Using Multibody Kinematic Analysis," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 7(2):497-504, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-0086.
- Yu, L. and Zheng, H., "The Development and Verification of Hardware-in-the-loop Test-bench of Electrically Controlled Steering System," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1508, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-1508.