This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Research on Friction Compensation Control for Electric Power Steering System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
With motor and reduction mechanism applied to Electric Power Steering (short for EPS) system of automobile, the frictional loss torque of steering system is increased. The common friction compensation control through the sign function of angular velocity or the saturation function of angular velocity is conducted to reduce the frictional loss torque of steering system. However, when the motor used in steering system generates assist torque based on the common friction compensation control, the longitudinal intercepts of steering torque change obviously at different steering wheel angles. The driver will get different frictional loss torque of steering system at different steering wheel angle. The information of steering torque contains the change of steering reaction torque and the frictional loss torque of steering system, so the change of frictional loss torque can cause the fuzzy of road feeling. In this paper, the variable friction compensation control is proposed to make the longitudinal intercepts of steering torque same at different steering wheel angles and make the driver have similar feeling of frictional loss torque. So road feeling has nothing to do with the frictional loss torque of steering system and is only influenced by EPS assist torque, which makes it easier to get good road feeling.
CitationLi, S., Niu, J., Sheng, R., Yu, Z. et al., "Research on Friction Compensation Control for Electric Power Steering System," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1542, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1542.
- Guobiao SHI. (2002). Simulation of the assist characteristic and research on the control strategy of Electric Power-Assisted Steering. Changchun: Jilin University.
- Tsung-Hsien Hu, Chih-Jung Yeh, Shih-Rung Ho, sung-Hua Hsu and Ming-Chih Lin. (2008). Design of Control Logic and Compensation Strategy for Electric Power Steering System. IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference.
- Wei LV, Konghui GUO, Jianwei ZHANG. (2010). Study on A More Accurate Method of EPS Motor Angular-Velocity Estimation. Vehicle Design, 3, 1-4.
- Jinzhu ZHOU, Baoyan DUAN, Jin HUANG. (2008). Effect and compensation for servo systems using LuGre friction model. CONTROL THEORY & APPLICATIONS, 25, 6, 990-994.
- Xiang WANG. (2013). Research on Bilateral Control and Variable Ratio Characteristics for Steer-by-Wire Automobile. Changchun: Jilin University.
- Xiang CHEN, Tiebao YANG, Xiaoqun CHEN. (2008). A Generic Model-Based Advanced Control of Electric Power-Assisted Steering Systems. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON CONTROL SYSTEMS TECHNOLOGY, 16, 6, 1289-1300.
- Ying YANG, Ting LI, Tao SUI. (2009). Control Strategy Research and Simulation Analysis of Electric Power Steering System for Automobile. Global Congress on Intelligent Systems, 228-232.
- Tao MENG, Zhuoping YU, Hui CHEN, Lijun ZHANG, Hui CHEN. (2005). A Study on the Control Strategy for Electric Power Steering and Test Validation. Vehicle Design, 5, 26-30.
- Haitao XING. (2013). Research on Compensation Control Method for Vehicle Steer-by-Wire System. Changchun: Jilin University.
- Weiqing YU, Guoliang XIONG, Zhanfeng LIANG. (2011). Improvement of Assistance Characteristics Curve of EPS System. Tractor & Farm Transporter, , 38, 3, 11-16.
- Rongwei SHEN, Yi LIN, Xiaohong TAI, Guobiao SHI. (2007). Research on Modeling and Compensation Control Strategy of Electric Power Steering System. Transactions of the Chinese Society of Agricultural Machinery, 38, 7, 5-9.
- Yangling CAO, Shusong YANG. (2011). Study on Assistance Torque Control Strategy of Electric Power Steering System. Electric Information and Control Engineering (ICEICE), 5372-5374.
- Linfeng ZHAO, Wuwei CHEN, Minghui QIN, Weihua QIN. (2009). Electric Power Steering Application Based on Returnability and Handiness. Journal of Mechanical Engineering, 45, 6, 181-187.
- Xin ZHANG, Guobiao SHI, Yi LIN. (2009). Objective Evaluation of Electric Power Steering Steering Feel. Journal of Mechanical Engineering, 45, 6, 171-175.
- Changfu ZONG, Li MAI, Deping WANG, Yajuan LI. (2007). Study on Steering Effort Preference of Drivers Based on Driving Simulator. Journal of Mechanical Engineering, 18, 8, 1001-1005.
- Hwang, I., Hyun, Y., and Park, J., "The Study for the Improvement of On-Center Feel with MTS Technique," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0990, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0990.
- Sugita Sumio, Tomizuka Masayoshi. (2012). Cancellation of Unnatural Reaction Torque in Variable-Gear-Ratio Steering System. Journal of Dynamic Systems Measurement and Control, 134, 2.
- Konghui GUO. (2011). Vehicle Handling Dynamics. Jiangsu science and technology. Nanjing, China.