This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Control of Steer by Wire System for Reference Steering Wheel Torque Tracking and Return-Ability
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper proposes a torque tracking algorithm via steer by wire to achieve the target steering feel and proposed a modified friction model to obtain return-ability. A three dimensional reference steering wheel torque map is designed using the measurement data of the steering characteristics of the target vehicle at a transition test and a weave test. In order to track the reference steering wheel torque, a sliding mode control is used in the tracking algorithm. In addition, to achieve return-ability, the modified friction model for steer by wire is used instead of the friction model defined in the reference steering wheel torque map. The modified friction model is composed of various models according to the angular velocity. The angular velocity and the angular acceleration used in the control algorithm are estimated using a kalman filter. A motor is used as the actuators to generate the targeted steering feel and the torque angle sensor (TAS) is used to measure the steering wheel torque and the steering wheel angle. Using the computer simulations, the return-ability of the proposed controller was evaluated with the return test and the tracking performance of the proposed controller was evaluated with the weave test and transition test. By using this proposed control algorithm in steer by wire system, the steering feel close to that of a conventional motor driven steer system has been successful obtained and return-ability has been achieved.
CitationLee, J., kyongsu, Y., Kim, K., Lee, B. et al., "Control of Steer by Wire System for Reference Steering Wheel Torque Tracking and Return-Ability," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0566, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0566.
- Fankem, S. andMuller, S., “A New Model to compute the Desired Steering Torque for Steer-by-Wire Vehicles and Driving Simulators,” Vehicle System Dynamics 52:251-271, 2014.
- Lee, D.,Jang, B.,Yi, K.,Chang, S. et al., “A Novel Electric-Power-Steering (EPS) Control Algorithm Development for the Reference Steering Feel Tracking,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1546, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-1546.
- Balachandran, A. andGerdes, J., “Designing Steering Feel for Steer-by-Wire Vehicles Using Objective Measures,” Mechatronics, IEEE/ASME Transactions on, PP 99:1-11, 2014.
- M. Bertoluzzo,G. Buja, andR. Menis, “Control Schemes for steer-by-wire Systems,” IEEE Industrial Electronics Magazine, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 20-27, Spring 2007.
- Park, Y. andJung, I., “Semi-Active Steering Wheel for Steer-By-Wire System,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3306, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-3306.
- YousefIskandarani. “Hysteresis Modeling for the Rotational Magnetorheological Damper,” the 4th WSEAS International Conference on Energy and Development, pp. 479-485, 2011.
- Lee, G.H.,Choi, W.C.,Kim, S.I.,Kwon, S.O. et al., “Torque Ripple Minimization Control of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors for EPS Applications,” International Journal of Automotive Technology 297:12-291, 2011.
- LiQiang. “Modeling and Simulation Study of the Steer by Wire System Using Bond Graph.”Vehicular Electronics and Safety, 2005. IEEE, pp. 7-11, 2005.
- N.Bajçinca,R.Cortesão,M. Hauschild. “Robust Control for Steer-By-Wire Vehicles,” Autonomous Robots, 19 pp. 193-214, 2005
- P.Yih andJ. C.Gerdes, “Modification of Vehicle Handling Characteristics Via Steer-by-Wire,” IEEE Trans. Contr. Syst. Technol., vol. 13, no. 6,pp. 965-976, Nov. 2005.
- J.Ackermann, “Yaw disturbance attenuation by robust decoupling of car steering”, Proc. 13th IFAC World Congr. (IFAC'96), pp. 1-6.
- D.Peter andR.Gerhard, “Electric Power Steerin-The First Step on the Way to Steer by Wire”.
- A.Wohnhaas andU.Essers, “Nonlinear Modeling and Simulation of a Rack and Pinion Steering”, Proc. Int. Symp. Advanced Vehicle Control (AVEC'92), pp. 68-73, Sep. 1992.
- Proca, A.B. andKeyhani, A., “Identification of Power Steering system Dynamic Models,” Mechatronics 8:255-270, 1998.
- H.Pacejka,E.Bakker andL.Nyborg, “Tyre modeling for use in vehicle dynamic studies”.
- Sugita, S. andTomizuka, M., “Cancellation of Unnatural Reaction Torque in Variable-Gear-Ratio,” Trans ASME, J Dyn Syst Meas Control. 134:021019, 2012.
- Y.Nianjiong andL.Qifeng, “Design and Simulation for Steer-by-Wire System Based on Fuzzy-PID,” 2015 7th International Conference on Intelligent Human-Machine Systems and Cybernetics, Hangzhou, 2015, pp. 291-294.
- Eker, İ. andŞule, A.A., “Sliding Mode Control with Integral Augmented Sliding Surface: Design and Experimental Application to an Electromechanical System,” Electrical Engineering 90(3):189-197, 2008.
- Eker, I., “Sliding Mode Control with PID Sliding Surface and Experimental Application to an Electromechanical Plant,” ISA Transactions 45(1):109-118, 2006.