This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Spray Behaviour and Particulate Matter Emissions with M15 Methanol/Gasoline Blends in a GDI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Model M15 gasoline fuels have been created from pure fuel components, to give independent control of volatility, the heavy end content and the aromatic content, in order to understand the effect of the fuel properties on Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) fuel spray behaviour and the subsequent particulate number emissions. Each fuel was imaged at a range of fuel temperatures in a spray rig and in a motored optical engine, to cover the full range from non-flashing sprays through to flare flashing sprays. The spray axial penetration (and potential piston and liner impingement), and spray evaporation rate were extracted from the images.
Firing engine tests with the fuels with the same fuel temperatures were performed and exhaust particulate number spectra captured using a DMS500 Mark II Particle Spectrometer. Data from the spray images and knowledge of the fuel evaporative performance has been used to explain some of the observed findings that might appear to be against the expected trends, but can be explained in terms of the saturation pressure ratio - the ratio of the fuel vapour pressure to the system pressure.
CitationMohd Murad, S., Camm, J., Davy, M., Stone, R. et al., "Spray Behaviour and Particulate Matter Emissions with M15 Methanol/Gasoline Blends in a GDI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0991, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0991.
- EEA Report 2014 Air quality in Europe: 2014 report
- Olah , G. a. , Goeppert , A. & Prakash , G.K.S. Chemical recycling of carbon dioxide to methanol and dimethyl ether: From greenhouse gas to renewable, environmentally carbon neutral fuels and synthetic hydrocarbons Journal of Organic Chemistry 74 2 487 498 2009 10.1021/jo801260f
- Trop , P. , Anicic , B. & Goricanec , D. Production of methanol from a mixture of torrefied biomass and coal Energy 77 125 132 2014 10.1016/j.energy.2014.05.045
- Braisher , M. , Stone , R. , and Price , P. Particle Number Emissions from a Range of European Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0786 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0786
- Piock , W. , Hoffmann , G. , Berndorfer , A. , Salemi , P. et al. Strategies Towards Meeting Future Particulate Matter Emission Requirements in Homogeneous Gasoline Direct Injection Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 1455 1468 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1212
- Whitaker , P. , Kapus , P. , Ogris , M. , and Hollerer , P. Measures to Reduce Particulate Emissions from Gasoline DI engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 1498 1512 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1219
- Steeper , R. and Stevens , E. Characterization of Combustion, Piston Temperatures, Fuel Sprays, and Fuel-Air Mixing in a DISI Optical Engine SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2900 2000 10.4271/2000-01-2900
- Ketterer , J. and Cheng , W. On the Nature of Particulate Emissions from DISI Engines at Cold-Fast-Idle SAE Int. J. Engines 7 2 986 994 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1368
- Sobotowski , R. , Butler , A. , and Guerra , Z. A Pilot Study of Fuel Impacts on PM Emissions from Light-Duty Gasoline Vehicles SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 8 1 214 233 2015 10.4271/2015-01-9071
- Leach , F. , Stone , R. , and Richardson , D. The Influence of Fuel Properties on Particulate Number Emissions from a Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engine SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1558 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1558
- Vuk , C. and Vander Griend , S. Fuel Property Effects on Particulates In Spark Ignition Engines SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1124 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1124
- Karavalakis , G. , Short , D. , Vu , D. , Russell , R.L. , Asa-Awuku , A. , Jung , H. , Johnson , K.C. & Durbin , T.D. The impact of ethanol and iso-butanol blends on gaseous and particulate emissions from two passenger cars equipped with spray-guided and wall-guided direct injection SI (spark ignition) engines Energy 82 168 179 2015 10.1016/j.energy.2015.01.023
- Price , P. , Twiney , B. , Stone , R. , Kar , K. et al. Particulate and Hydrocarbon Emissions from a Spray Guided Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engine with Oxygenate Fuel Blends SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0472 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0472
- Mojtabi , M. , Chadwick , N. , Wigley , G. , Helie , J. The Effect of Flash Boiling On Break Up and Atomization in GDI Sprays ILASS 2008: 22nd European Conference on Liquid Atommization and Spray Systems Como Lake, Italy September 2008
- Dahlander , P. , Lindgren , R. , Denbratt , L. High-Speed Photography And Phase Doppler Anemometry Measurements of Flash-Boiling Multi-Hole Injector Sprays for Spray-Guided Gasoline Direct Injection ICLASS 2006: 10th International Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems Kyoto, Japan September, 2006
- Xu , M. , Zhang , Y. , Zeng , W. , Zhang , G. et al. Flash Boiling: Easy and Better Way to Generate Ideal Sprays than the High Injection Pressure SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 6 1 137 148 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1614
- Zeng , W. , Xu , M. , Zhang , G. , Zhang , Y. & Cleary , D.J. Atomization and vaporization for flash-boiling multi-hole sprays with alcohol fuels Fuel 287 297 2012 10.1016/j.fuel.2011.08.048
- Liu , S. , Cuty Clemente , E.R. , Hu , T. & Wei , Y. Study of spark ignition engine fueled with methanol/gasoline fuel blends Applied Thermal Engineering 27 11-12 1904 1910 2007 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2006.12.024
- Wang , X. , Ge , Y. , Liu , L. , and Gong , H. Regulated, Carbonyl Emissions and Particulate Matter from a Dual-Fuel Passenger Car Burning Neat Methanol and Gasoline SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1082 2015 10.4271/2015-01-1082
- Liang , B. , Ge , Y. , Tan , J. , Han , X. , Gao , L. , Hao , L. , Ye , W. & Dai , P. Comparison of PM emissions from a gasoline direct injected (GDI) vehicle and a port fuel injected (PFI) vehicle measured by electrical low pressure impactor (ELPI) with two fuels: Gasoline and M15 methanol gasoline Journal of Aerosol Science 57 22 31 2013 10.1016/j.jaerosci.2012.11.008
- Geng , P. , Zhang , H. & Yang , S. Experimental investigation on the combustion and particulate matter (PM) emissions from a port-fuel injection (PFI) gasoline engine fueled with methanol- ultralow sulfur gasoline blends Fuel 145 221 227 2015 10.1016/j.fuel.2014.12.067
- BS EN 228:2012 Automotive fuels - Unleaded petrol - Requirements and test methods
- Camm , J. , Stone , R. , Davy , M. , and Richardson , D. The Effect of Non-Ideal Vapour-Liquid Equilibrium and Non-Ideal Liquid Diffusion on Multi-Component Droplet Evaporation for Gasoline Direct Injection Engines SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0924 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0924
- Hung , D. , Harrington , D. , Gandhi , A. , Markle , L. et al. Gasoline Fuel Injector Spray Measurement and Characterization - A New SAE J2715 Recommended Practice SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 534 548 2009 10.4271/2008-01-1068
- Braisher M. Particulate Matter Emissions Measurements from Engines and Vehicles D.Phil. thesis University of Oxford 2010