This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of the Layout and Control Strategy for Parallel Through-the-Road Hybrid Electric Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the optimization of the layout and of the control strategy of through-the-road (TTR) parallel hybrid electric vehicles equipped with two compression-ignition engines that feature different values of maximum output power.
First, a tool has been developed to define the optimal layout of each TTR vehicle. This is based on the minimization of the powertrain and fuel cost over a 10-year time span, taking into account the fuel consumption. Several performance requirements are guaranteed during the optimization, namely maximum vehicle velocity, 0-100 km/h acceleration time, gradeability and the all-electric range.
A benchmark optimizer that is based on the dynamic programming theory has been developed to identify the optimal working mode and the gear number, which are the control variables of the problem. A mathematical technique, based on the pre-processing of a configuration matrix, has been developed in order to speed up the calculation time.
After the layout optimization, the potential of the two identified hybrid vehicles in improving the fuel economy, compared with the conventional vehicle, has been analyzed and discussed over several driving missions, i.e., the New European Driving Cycle, the Artemis Urban Driving Cycle, the Artemis Rural Driving Cycle, the Artemis Motorway Driving Cycle and the Federal Test Procedure. The contributions related to the vehicle electrification and to the control strategy were identified separately.
Finally, a real-time optimizer has also been developed, which is based on the instantaneous maximization of an equivalent powertrain efficiency.
|Technical Paper||Cycle Life Cost Assessment of a Hybrid Lead Acid Battery-Supercapacitor Storage for an Electric Microcar|
|Technical Paper||City Vehicle XAM 2.0: Design and Optimization of its Plug-In E-REV Powertrain|
CitationFinesso, R., Spessa, E., and Venditti, M., "Optimization of the Layout and Control Strategy for Parallel Through-the-Road Hybrid Electric Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1798, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1798.
- Young , M. , Molen , G. M. , Oglesby , D. , Crawford , K. et al. The Design and Development of a Through-the-Road Parallel Diesel Electric Hybrid Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference, 2007. VPPC 2007 IEEE 511 518 IEEE 10.1109/VPPC.2007.4544178
- Mehr , D. , Michalak , M. , Erlien , S. , and Bower , G. Optimization and Testing of a Through the Road Parallel, Hybrid-Electric, Crossover Sports Utility Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1318 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1318
- Lee , H. D. , Koo , E. S. , Sul , S. K. , Kim , J. S. et al. Torque control strategy for a parallel-hybrid vehicle using fuzzy logic. Industry Applications Magazine IEEE 6 6 33 38 2000 10.1109/2943.877838
- Won , J. S. , & Langari , R. Fuzzy torque distribution control for a parallel hybrid vehicle Expert Systems 19 1 4 10 2002 10.1111/1468-0394.00184
- Poursamad , A. , & Montazeri , M. Design of genetic-fuzzy control strategy for parallel hybrid electric vehicles Control Engineering Practice 16 7 861 873 2008 10.1016/j.conengprac.2007.10.003
- Hofman , T. , Steinbuch , M. , Van Druten , R. , and Serrarens , A. Rule-based energy management strategies for hybrid vehicles International Journal of Electric and Hybrid Vehicles 1 1 71 94 2007 10.1504/IJEHV.2007.014448
- Paganelli , G. , Delprat , S. , Guerra , T. M. , Rimaux , J. et al. Equivalent consumption minimization strategy for parallel hybrid powertrains Vehicular Technology Conference, 2002. VTC Spring 2002. IEEE 55th 4 2076 2081 IEEE 2002 10.1109/VTC.2002.1002989
- Kim , C. , NamGoong , E. , Lee , S. , Kim , T. et al. Fuel Economy Optimization for Parallel Hybrid Vehicles with CVT SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1148 1999 10.4271/1999-01-1148
- MathWorks MATLAB - The Language Of Technical Computing www.mathworks.com/products/matlab
- Morra , E. , Spessa , E. , Venditti , M. Optimization of the operating strategy of a BAS hybrid diesel powertrain on type-approval and real-world representative driving cycles 2012 Spring Technical Conference of the ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division Torino May 6 9 2012 10.1115/ICES2012-81093
- Hwang , S. F. , & He , R. S. A hybrid real-parameter genetic algorithm for function optimization Advanced Engineering Informatics 20 1 7 21 2006 10.1016/j.aei.2005.09.001
- Johnson , V. H. Battery performance models in ADVISOR Journal of Power Sources 110 2 321 329 10.1016/S0378-7753(02)00194-5
- UQM Technologies www.uqm.com 2002
- Golbuff , S. Optimization of a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle Master Thesis Georgia Institute of Technology the Netherlands 2006
- Fischer , R. , Fraidl , G.K. , Hubmann , C. , Kapus , P.E. , Kunzemann , R. , Sifferlinger , B. , Beste , B. Range Extender Module Enabler for Electric Mobility ATZ 05 2009 9
- Bellman , R. E. 1957 Dynamic programming Princeton University Press Princeton, NJ
- Catania , A. E. , Finesso , R. , & Spessa , E. Predictive zero-dimensional combustion model for DI diesel engine feed-forward control Energy Conversion and Management 52 10 3159 3175 2011 10.1016/j.enconman.2011.05.003
- Ferrari , A. , Morra , E. , Spessa , E. , Ciaravino , C. et al. Analysis of Energy-Efficient Management of a Light-Duty Parallel-Hybrid Diesel Powertrain with a Belt Alternator Starter SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0080 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0080
- Morra , E. , Spessa , E. , Ciaravino , C. , and Vassallo , A. Analysis of Various Operating Strategies for a Parallel-Hybrid Diesel Powertrain with a Belt Alternator Starter SAE Int. J. Alt. Power. 1 1 231 239 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1008
- Catania , A. , Finesso , R. , Spessa , E. , Catanese , A. et al. Combustion Prediction by a Low-Throughput Model in Modern Diesel Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 2106 2123 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1410
- Catania , A. , Finesso , R. , and Spessa , E. Real-Time Calculation of EGR Rate and Intake Charge Oxygen Concentration for Misfire Detection in Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0149 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0149
- Finesso , R. and Spessa , E. Real-Time Predictive Modeling of Combustion and NO x Formation in Diesel Engines Under Transient Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0899 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0899