This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cycle Life Cost Assessment of a Hybrid Lead Acid Battery-Supercapacitor Storage for an Electric Microcar
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The adoption of composed (hybrid) lead acid battery-supercapacitor (SC) storage systems is able to improve performances (availability, durability, range) of an electric microcar. As a matter of fact, the supercapacitors extend the operation time not only by improving the energy efficiency (thanks to a higher contribution of regenerative braking), but also by reducing the power down caused by voltage drop at higher discharge rates.
The integration of battery with supercapacitors requires careful analysis and calculation of the relationship between battery peak power and size of the SC bank, needed to have a balanced composition of the hybrid storage system. For this purpose, the optimization process, summarized here, is based on the combination of a conventional lead-acid battery and a commercial SC, with the vehicle running the ECE15 driving cycle.
A Matlab/Simulink model has been developed in order to characterize the benefits of the adoption of such hybrid storage system and experimental tests have been used to calibrate it.
A techno-economic analysis of the proposed electric storage, aimed to assess cycle-life costs and convenience with respect a conventional one has also been done.
The paper will assess with experimental results the technical and economical potentialities of the use of hybrid storage configurations, by demonstrating that it is not only beneficial to improve the vehicle performances, but also convenient, because the reduced stress of the battery prolongs its life, being able to compensate extra-costs for replacement.
|Technical Paper||Optimization of the Layout and Control Strategy for Parallel Through-the-Road Hybrid Electric Vehicles|
|Technical Paper||City Vehicle XAM 2.0: Design and Optimization of its Plug-In E-REV Powertrain|
CitationOrtenzi, F., Pede, G., and Rossi, E., "Cycle Life Cost Assessment of a Hybrid Lead Acid Battery-Supercapacitor Storage for an Electric Microcar," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1816, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1816.
- Specification of Test Procedures for Electric Vehicle Traction Batteries EUCAR Traction Battery Working Group December 1996
- Test Plan per la caratterizzazione di batterie in ciclo ibrido per autobus da 12 m RTI ENEA June 2000
- Conte , M. , Pede , G. , Sglavo , V. , Gostoli , D. et al. High Power Lead-Acid Battery for Heavy-Duty HEV, On the Road and Laboratory Performance and Reliability SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0090 2003 10.4271/2003- 01-0090
- Burke , A. Cycle Life Considerations for Batteries in Electric and Hybrid Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 951951 1995 10.4271/951951
- Ultracapacitor and battery storage system supporting fuel-cell powered vehicles Napoli A Di , Crescimbini F , Solero L , Pede G , Bianco GL , Pasquali M EVS-18 Berlin October
- Josefowitz W. et alii EV Energy Bench Testing - European Testing Report EVS-17 Montreal October 2000
- Conte M. , Pede G. , Rossi E. , Vellucci F. Supercapacitors research and applications at ENEA ESSCAP 2010 - 4th European Symposium on Super Capacitors & Applications Ottobre 2010 Bordeaux (Francia)
- Conte M. , Genovese A. , Ortenzi F. and Vellucci F. Hybrid battery-supercapacitor storage for an electric forklift: a lifecycle cost assessment Journal of Applied Electrochemistry
- Innovative Electric Storage Systems And New Prospects For Pubblic Transport Electrification Luca Buzzoni, Emilia-Romagna Regio, Giovanni Pede, ENEA, ESARS 2012
- Villante C. , Rossi E. A hybrid city-car: prototype by ENEA for urban mobility IEEE Vehicular Technology Magazine 01 2011
- Thome Alessandro W. et alii. Studio e sperimentazioni di un sistema di accumulo misto per una vettura a trazione elettrica 2012 Tesi di laurea
- Ceraolo M 2000 New Dynamical Models of Lead-Acid Batteries IEEE transactions on power systems 15 4
- Bertoluzzo M , Buja G , Pede G , A. Puccetti A 2011 Hybrid battery-supercapacitor storage system for electric city cars European Electric Vehicle Conference (EEVC) Brussels, Belgium
- Barsali S , Pasquali , M , Pede G 2002 Definition of an energy management technique for series hybrid vehicle International Electric Vehicle Symposium EVS-19 Busan, South Korea
- Sglavo V. , Vellucci F. Prova vita di batterie piombo acido con e senza livellamento del carico ENEA, Report RdS/2012/ 121