This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Deriving the Compressed Accelerated Test Cycle from Measured Road Load Data
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Validation of vehicle structure is at the core of reduction of product development time. Robust and accelerated validation becomes an important task. In service the vehicle is subjected to variable loads. These act upon the components that originate from road roughness, manoeuvres and powertrain loads. Majority of the body in white and chassis structural failures are caused due to vertical loading. Measured road load data in test track have variable amplitude histories. These histories often contain a large percentage of small amplitude cycles which are non damaging. This paper describes a systematic approach to derive the compressed load cycle from the measured road load data in order to produce representative and meaningful yet economical load cycle for fatigue simulation. In-house flow was developed to derive the compressed load time history. Different parameters and checks related to window length assessment, range cycle plot comparison for the base and compressed data is explained. Further to this potential damage approach was used to map the conventional static durability load-cases to block cycle fatigue to increase the confidence in simulation results. The complete exercise had helped to improve the quality and time to market with minimum mass addition.
CitationLondhe, A., Kangde, S., and Karthikeyan, K., "Deriving the Compressed Accelerated Test Cycle from Measured Road Load Data," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0063, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0063.
- Nozaki, H. “Technology for Measuring the Damping Force of Shock Absorbers and the Constant of Coil Springs Mounted on a Motorcycle by the Un-sprung Mass Vibration Method SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2068 2004 10.4271/2004-01-2068
- An introduction to modern vehicle design. happian-Smith, Julian Elsevier 2001
- Halfpenny, Andrew Dr. Methods for accelerating dynamic durability tests 9th international conference on recent advances in structural dynamics Southampton, UK 2006
- nCode6.0 GlyphWorks user manual
- Stephens, R. I. Dindinger, P. M. Gunger¢, J. E. Fatigue damage testing for accelerated durability testing using strain range and SWT parameter criteria International Journal of Fatigue 19
- Dodds, Colin J Ward, Colin H The Ubiquitous 4-poster EIS STMC conference April 2004
- Dodds, C. Panse, S. Awate, C. “Validation of an Accelerated Test on a 4-Post Road Simulator,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-26-070 2007 10.4271/2007-26-070