This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Analysis of Bending Stresses on the Crankshaft in a V-Type Six-Cylinder Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 16, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Engine vibration is a great disadvantage of a V-type six-cylinder engine because ignition does not occur at regular intervals. The engine achieves ignition at regular intervals by having a crank pin offset crankshaft. The shape of the crank pin offset crankshaft is so complex that the location of the crank pin on which bending stress concentrates cannot be obtained easily. This paper reports on the mechanism that generates bending stresses on the crank pin, and discusses the location at which the maximum bending stress is generated with crank pin offset crankshaft.
CitationKimura, J. and Kobayashi, S., "Experimental Analysis of Bending Stresses on the Crankshaft in a V-Type Six-Cylinder Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2488, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2488.
- Kimura, J. Shibata, S Ebe, A. “Relative Torsional Vibration Analysis for Crankshaft,” Proceeding of the 2001 Spring Technical Conference ASME 36-3
- Kimura, J. Kobayashi, S Shiono, K. “Crankshaft Torsional Vibration Characteristics in a Vee-Type Six-Cylinder Diesel Engine,” Proceeding of the 2002 Spring Technical Conference ASME 38
- Yamauchi, T. Yamazaki, Y. Kimura, J. “Computation and Experiment Analyses for Torsion Vibration of Crankshaft System with Viscous Torsion Damper on Diesel Engine,” SAE paper 1999-01-1748
- Martin, I. T. Low, B. “Prediction of Crankshaft and Flywheel Dynamics,” I. Mech. E. Autotech 89 November 1989
- Kimura, J. Okamura, H. Sogabe, K. “Experiments and Computation of Crankshaft Three-Dimensional Vibrations and Bending Stresses in a Vee-Type Ten-Cylinder Engine,” SAE Paper 951291 1995
- Kimura, J. Shiono, K. Okamura, H. Sogabe, K. “Experiments and Analysis of Crankshaft Three-Dimensional Vibrations and Bending Stresses in a V-Type Ten-Cylinder Engine: Influence of Crankshaft Gyroscopic Motions,” SAE Paper 971995 1997