This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Serpentine Belt Span Vibrations caused by Dynamic Pulley and Crankshaft Oscillations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
In practical operation, serpentine belts are subjected to parametric excitation caused by tension and translation speed fluctuations from pulley rotations and crankshaft speed oscillations. Each of these excitation sources has spectral content at multiple frequencies and arbitrary phases. Stability boundaries for primary, secondary, and simultaneous primary/secondary parametric instabilities are determined analytically. The classical result that primary instability occurs when one of the excitation frequencies is close to twice a natural frequency changes as a result of multiple excitation frequencies. Unusual interactions occur for the practically important case of simultaneous primary and secondary instabilities.
|Technical Paper||Analysis of Synchronous Belt Vibration in Automotive Valve Train|
|Technical Paper||Simulation of V-Ribbed Belt Tracking|
|Technical Paper||Experimental Testing and Modeling of Automotive Automatic Belt Tensioners|
CitationParker, R., Lin, Y., Oliver, L., and Breig, W., "Serpentine Belt Span Vibrations caused by Dynamic Pulley and Crankshaft Oscillations," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0600, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0600.
- Abrate, S. 1992 Vibrations of Belts and Belt Drives Mechanism and Machine Theory 27 645 659
- Barker, C.R. Oliver, L.R. Breig, W.F. 1991 Dynamic Analysis of Belt Drive Tension Forces During Rapid Engine Acceleration SAE International Congress Detroit Paper 910687
- Beikmann, R.S. Perkins, N.C. Ulsoy, A.G. 1996 Free Vibration of Serpentine Belt Drive Systems Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 118 406 413
- Beikmann, R.S. Perkins, N.C. Ulsoy, A.G. 1996 Nonlinear Coupled Vibration Response of Serpentine Belt Drive Dynamics Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 118 567 574
- Beikmann, R.S. Perkins, N.C. Ulsoy, A.G. 1997 Design and Analysis of Automotive Serpentine Belt Drive Systems for Steady State Performance Journal of Mechanical Design 119 162 168
- Hwang, S.-J. Perkins, N.C. Ulsoy, A.G. 1994 Rotational Response and Slip Prediction of Serpentine Belt Drive Systems Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 116 71 78
- Kraver, T.C. Fan, G.W. Shah, J.J. 1996 Complex Modal Analysis of a Flat Belt Pulley System with Belt Damping and Coulomb-Damped Tensioner Journal of Mechanical Design 118 306 311
- Lin, Y. Parker, R. G. 1999 Parametric Instability of Axially Moving Media Subjected to Multi-Frequency Tension and Speed Fluctuations Journal of Applied Mechanics
- Mockensturm, E.M. Perkins, N.C. Ulsoy, A.G. 1996 Stability and Limit Cycles of Parametrically Excited, Axially Moving Strings Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 118 346 351
- Nayfeh, A.H. Mook, D.T. 1979 Nonlinear Oscillations John Wiley
- Pakdemirli, M. Ulsoy, A.G. 1997 Stability Analysis of an Axially Accelerating String Journal of Sound and Vibration 203 5 815 832
- Ulsoy, A.G. Whitesell, J.E. Hooven, M.D. 1985 Design of Belt-Tensioner Systems for Dynamic Stability Journal of Vibration, Acoustics, Stress, and Reliability in Design 107 282 290
- Wickert, J.A. Mote, C.D., Jr. 1990 Classical Vibration Analysis of Axially Moving Continua Journal of Applied Mechanics 57 738 744