This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Hydrogen Combustion and Exhaust Emissions Ignited with Diesel Oil in a Dual Fuel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Hydrogen is expected to be one of the most prominent fuels in the near future for solving greenhouse problem, protecting environment and saving petroleum. In this study, a dual fuel engine of hydrogen and diesel oil was investigated. Hydrogen was inducted in a intake port with air and diesel oil was injected into the cylinder. The injection timing was changed over extremely wide range. When the injection timing of diesel fuel into the cylinder is advanced, the diesel oil is well mixed with hydrogen-air mixture and the initial combustion becomes mild. NOx emissions decrease because of lean premixed combustion without the region of high temperature of burned gas. When hydrogen is mixed with inlet air, emissions of HC, CO and CO2 decrease without exhausting smoke while brake thermal efficiency is slightly smaller than that in ordinary diesel combustion. In particular, both smoke and NOx are almost zero and HC is low when the injection timing is significantly advanced although the engine operation becomes unstable.
CitationTomita, E., Kawahara, N., Piao, Z., Fujita, S. et al., "Hydrogen Combustion and Exhaust Emissions Ignited with Diesel Oil in a Dual Fuel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3503, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3503.
- Norbeck, J.M. Heffel, J.W. Durbin, T.D. Tabbara, B. Bowden, J.M. Montano, M.C. Hydrogen Fuel for Surface Transportation 1996 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc.
- Karim, G.A. Taylor, M.E. SAE Paper, (1973), No. 730089
- Furuhama, S. Yamane, K. Combustion Characteristics of Hydrogen-Fueled Spark Ignition Engine Trans. of JSAE 1973 54
- Homan, H.S. Reynolds, R.K. De Boer, P.C.T. McLean, W.J. Hydrogen-Fuelled Diesel Engine without Timed Ignition Int. J. of Hydrogen Energy 4 1979 315
- Wong, J.K.S. Compression Ignition of Hydrogen in a Direct Injection Diesel Engine Modified to Operate as a Low-Heat-Rejection Engine Int. J. of Hydrogen Energy 15 1990 507
- Ikegami, M. Miwa, M. Shioji, M. A Study on Hydrogen Fuelled Compression Ignition Engines Int. Journal of Hydrogen Energy 7 1982 341
- Karim, G.A. The Dual Fuel Engine Automotive Engine Alternatives Evans, R.L. 1987 83 104 Plenum Press
- Tesarek, H. Investigation Concerning the Employment Possibilities of Diesel - Gas Process for Reducing Exhaust Emissions, Especially Soot (Particulate Matters) SAE Paper, (1983), No. 831197
- Karim, G.A. The Dual Fuel Engine of the Compression Ignition Type - Prospects, Problems and Solutions - A Review SAE Paper, (1983), No. 831073
- Karim, G.A. An Examination of Some Measures for Improving the Performance of Gas Fueled Diesel Engines at Light Load SAE Paper, (1991), No. 912366
- Wong, W.Y. Midkiff, K.C. Bell, S.R. Performance and Emissions of a Natural Gas Dual-Fueled, Indirect Injected Diesel Engine SAE Paper, (1991), No. 911766
- Cole, J.J. Kienzle, E. Wells, A.D. Meyer, R.C. Development of a CNG Engine SAE Paper, (1991), No. 910881
- Grosshans, G. Litzler, M. Pielstick Experience with Dual-Fuel Engines and Configuration Trans. ASME, J. Engng. Gas Turbine and Power 110 1988 349 355
- Gopal, G. Srinivasa Rao, P. Gopalakrishnan, K.V. Murthy, B.S. Use of Hydrogen in Dual-Fuel Engines Int. J. of Hydrogen Energy 7-3 1982 267 272
- Li, J.-D. Lu, Y.-Q. Du, T.-S. Improvement on the Combustion of a Hydrogen Fueled Engine Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 11-10 1986 661 668
- Mathur, H.B. Das, L.M. Patro, T.N. Hydrogen Fuel Utilization in CI Engine Powered End Utility System Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 17 1992 369
- Varde, K.S. Frame, G.A. Hydrogen Aspiration in a Direct Injection Type Diesel Engine - Its Effects on Smoke and Other Engine Parameters Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 8-7 1983 549 555
- Lambe, S.M. Watson, H.C. Optimizing the design of a hydrogen engine with pilot diesel fuel injection Int. J. of Vehicle Design 14 4 1993 370 389
- Patro, T.N. Combustion Study of Hydrogen Fueled DI Diesel Engine: Simplified Heat Release Analysis Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 1993 231 241
- Liu, Z. Karim, G.A. The Ignition Delay Period in Dual Fuel Engines SAE Paper, (1995), No. 950466
- Takeda, Y. Nakagome, K. Niimura, K. Emission Characteristics of Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion with Extremely Early Staged Fuel Injection SAE Paper, (1996), No. 961163
- Thring, R.H. Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engines SAE Paper, (1989), No. 892068
- Tomita, E. Hamamoto, Y. Siagian, A. Piao, Z. Fujita S. Ignition Delay of Light Oil Spray into Gaseous Fuel and Air Mixture in a Dual Fuel Engine Proc. of the Sixth International Symposium on Marine Engineering (ISME Tokyo 2000) 2000 505 510
- Das, L.M. Hydrogen-Oxygen Reaction Mechanism and Its Implication to Hydrogen Engine Combustion Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 21-8 1996 703 715