This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
OPTIMISATION OF THE SCAVENGING AND INJECTION PROCESSES OF AN AIR-ASSISTED DIRECT FUEL INJECTION 50 CC. 2-STROKE S.I. ENGINE BY MEANS OF MODELLING
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 01, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper summarizes the optimisation work of the air-assisted direct fuel injection 50 cc. 2-stroke spark ignition DERBI TSI engine. The methodology employed is based on the use of mathematical models to assist to the design procedure. The models used are a 1D wave action model and a 3D CFD model. In the paper is described the modelling procedure for some of the engine systems: exhaust, injection, scavenging and mixture processes. The existing 1D model has been improved to simulate 2-stroke engines. Some studies have been devoted to the calculation of tapered pipes, exhaust system, reed valves and injection system.
The study of the exhaust shows that only the exhaust parts closest to the cylinder have influence on the exhaust response in terms of performance. The study of the injection system shows that the injection pressure and duration will depend on the discharge duct diameter and compressor clearance. The phase angle between engine and compressor crankshaft will not affect injection pressure or duration. A procedure for drawing new ports geometry by parametric design has been used. This allowed testing new ports geometry by CFD. Two different combustion chambers are compared in terms of mixture enhancement. Finally, the injection and mixture process for different injection strategies is assessed.
CitationPayri, F., Galindo, J., Climent, H., Pastor, J. et al., "OPTIMISATION OF THE SCAVENGING AND INJECTION PROCESSES OF AN AIR-ASSISTED DIRECT FUEL INJECTION 50 CC. 2-STROKE S.I. ENGINE BY MEANS OF MODELLING," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1814, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1814.
- Nuti M. “Emissions from Two-Stroke Engines”. R-223. Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA, 1998.
- Heimberg W. “Ficht Pressure Surge Injection System”, Proceedings of the Small Engine Technology Conference Paper 931502, Pisa, 1993.
- Leighton S.R., Ahern S.R., Southern M.P., Cebis M.J. “The Orbital Combustion Process for Future Small Two-Stroke Engines” in A New Generation of Two-Stroke Engines for the Future?, Éditions Technip, Paris, France, 1993.
- Leighton S.R., Cebis M.J., Southern M.P., Ahern S.R., Horner L. “The OCP Small Engine Fuel Injection System for Future Two-Stroke Marine Engines”. SAE Paper 941687, 1994.
- Duret P., Ecomard A., Audinet M. “A New Two-Stroke Engine with Compressed Air Assisted Fuel Injection System for High Efficiency Low Emissions Applications”. SAE Paper 880176, 1988.
- Nuti M., Pardini R. Caponi D. “FAST Injection System: PIAGGIO Solution for ULEV 2T SI Engines”. SAE Paper 970362, 1997.
- Payri F., Desantes J.M., Broatch A., “Modified impulse method for the measurement of the frequency response of acoustic filters to weakly non-linear transient excitations”, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol 107(2), pp. 731-738, 2000.
- Kirkpatrick S.J., Blair G.P., Fleck R., McMullan R.K., “Experimental evaluation of 1D computer codes for the simulation of unsteady gas flow through engines - a first phase”, SAE Paper 941685, 1994.
- Blair G.P. “The Design and Simulation of Two-Stroke Engines”. R-161. Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA, 1995.
- Payri F., Benajes J., Chust M.D., “Programme pour étude assistée par ordinateur de systèmes d'admission et d'échappement de moteurs”, Entropie, vol. 162, pp. 17-23, 1991.
- Benajes J., Reyes E., Luján J.M., “Modelling study of the scavenging process in a turbocharged Diesel engine with modified valve operation”, Proceedings of the IMechE Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science 210, pp. 383-393, 1996.
- Benajes J.V., Torregrosa A.J., Reyes M.A., “Heat Transfer Model for I.C. Engine Exhaust Manifolds” Proceedings of the 15th Eurotherm Seminar, pp. 189-194, 1991.
- Payri F., Reyes E., Galindo J., “Analysis and Modelling of the fluid-dynamic effects in branched exhaust junctions of I.C.E.” International Journal for Gas Turbine and Power: Transactions of the ASME, Vol. 123 Iss. 1, pp. 197-203. 2001.
- Payri F., Benajes J., Reyes M., “Modelling of supercharger turbines in internal-combustion engines”, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 38 (8-9), pp. 853-869, 1996.
- Blair G.P., Cahoon W.L., “A more complete analysis of unsteady gas flow through a high specific output two-cycle engine”, SAE Paper 720156, 1972.
- Fleck R., Cartwright A., “Coefficients of discharge in high performance two-stroke engines”, SAE Paper 962534, 1996.
- Hinds E.T., Blair G.P., “Unsteady gas flow through reed valve induction systems”, SAE Paper 780766, 1978.
- Blair G.P., Magee S.J., “Non-Isentropic analysis of varying area flow in engine ducting” SAE Paper 932399, 1993.
- Blair G.P., Kirkpatrick S.J., Mackey D.O., Fleck R., “Experimental evaluation of a 1D modelling code for a pipe system containing area discontinuities”, SAE Paper 950276, 1995.
- Liu J., Schorn N., Schernus C., Peng L., “Comparison studies on the method of characteristics and finite difference methods for one-dimensional gas flow through IC engine manifold”, SAE Paper 960078, 1996.
- Payri, F., Torregrosa, A.J., Chust, M.D., “Application of M cCormack schemes to I.C. engine exhaust noise prediction”, Journal of Sound and Vibration 195, pp. 757-773, 1996.
- Torregrosa A. J., Galindo J., Payri R., Climent H., Gaia C. “Modeling the Exhaust System in Two-Stroke Small Engines” Automotive and Transportation Technology Conference, SAE Paper 01ATT-368. Barcelona, 2001.
- Payri F., Desantes J.M., Torregrosa A.J., “Acoustic boundary condition for unsteady one-dimensional flow calculations”, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 188(1), pp. 85-110, 1995.
- Sher E., “Modeling the Scavenging process in the Two-Stroke Engine- An Overview” SAE Paper 890414. 1989.
- Arias J.R., Moreno E., Navarro E. And Varela E. “Using 1-D and 3-D Models for the Simulation of Gas Exchange Processes” SAE Paper 2000-01-0658. 2000.
- Galindo J., Pastor J.V., Serrano J.R., Pastor J.M., Gaia C. “Multidimensional Modeling of the Scavenging and Injection Processes of a Small Two-Stroke Engine Compared to LDV Measurements” Automotive & Transportation Technology Congress, Barcelona, October 2001, SAE Paper 01ATT-367, 2001.
- Jante A., “Scavenging and other problems of 2-stroke-cycle spark-ignition engines”, SAE Paper 680468, 1968.
- Nuti M., Martorano L., “Short-Circuit ratio evaluation in the scavenging of two-stroke S.I. engines”, SAE Paper 850177, 1985.