This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Exhaust System Simulation of a 2-Cylinder 2-Stroke Engine Including Heat Transfer Effects
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 28, 2010 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The exhaust system design has an important influence on the charge mass and the composition of the charge inside the cylinder, due to its gas dynamic behavior. Therefore the exhaust system determines the characteristics of the indicated mean effective pressure as well. The knowledge of the heat transfer and the post-combustion process of fuel losses inside the exhaust system are important for the thermodynamic analysis of the working process. However, the simulation of the heat transfer over the exhaust pipe wall is time consuming, due to the demand for a transient simulation of many revolutions until a cyclic steady condition is reached. Therefore, the exhaust pipe wall temperature is set to constant in the conventional CFD simulation of 2-stroke engines. This paper covers the discussion of a simulation strategy for the exhaust system of a 2-cylinder 2-stroke engine until cyclic steady condition including the heat transfer over the exhaust pipe wall. The influence of the wall temperature on the gas dynamic behavior and the post-combustion process inside the exhaust pipe were investigated as well. Finally, test bench results of the fired engine were used for the validation of the simulation.
CitationJajcevic, D., Fitl, M., Schmidt, S., Glinsner, K. et al., "Exhaust System Simulation of a 2-Cylinder 2-Stroke Engine Including Heat Transfer Effects," SAE Technical Paper 2010-32-0035, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-32-0035.
- Caton, J. A. Heywood, J. B. “An experimental and analytical study of heat transfer in an engine exhaust port” International Journal Heat Mass Transfer 1981
- Konstantinidis, P. A. Koltsakis, G. C. Stamatelos, A. M. “Transient heat transfer modelling in automotive exhaust systems” Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science 0954-4062 2041-2983 1997
- Kandylas, I. Stamatelos, A. “Berechnung des Wärmeübergangs in Motorabgassystemen” MTZ Motortechnische Zeitschrift 59 1998
- Zhang, Y. Phaneuf, K. Hanson, R. Showalter, N. “Computer Modeling on Exhaust System Heat Transfer,” SAE Technical Paper 920262 1992 10.4271/920262
- Chen, D.K.S. “A Numerical Model for Thermal Problems in Exhaust Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 931070 1993 10.4271/931070
- Rothbauer, R.J. Margelik, R.H. Aslam, M.M. Almbauer, R.A. et al. “Predictive Simulation Strategies for the 2-Stroke Scavenging Process within the Scope of the Development Process,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-32-0099 2005 10.4271/2005-32-0099
- Eichlseder, H Schmidt, S. P. Rothbauer, R. J. “Entwicklungsmethodiken bei der Konzeptentwicklung neuartiger Brennverfahren” Internationales Symposium für Entwicklungsmethodik 142 163 2005
- Schmidt, S. Winkler, F. Schoegl, O. Pontoppidan, M. “Development of a Combustion Process for a High Performance 2-Stroke Engine with High Pressure Direct Injection,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2942 2004 10.4271/2004-01-2942
- Rothbauer, R. J. Almbauer, R. A. Schmidt, S. P. Glinsner, K. “Effect of Energy Conversion, Turbulence and Fluid Dynamics on the Transient Heat Transfer and thus on the Scavenging of the Two Stroke Engine” Turbulence, Heat and Mass Transfer 5 Dubrovnik 2006
- Jajcevic, D. Almbauer, R.A. Schmidt, S.P. Glinsner, K. “Symmetry and Time Delayed Boundary Condition for CFD Simulation and its Application in a Two-Cylinder Two-Stroke Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-32-0024 2009 10.4271/2009-32-0024
- Jajcevic, D. Almbauer, R.A. Schmidt, S.P. Glinsner, K. “Simulation of Scavenging Process, Internal Mixture Preparation, and Combustion of a Gasoline Direct Injection Two-Cylinder Two-Stroke Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-32-0046 2009 10.4271/2009-32-0046
- Zeng, Y. Strauss, S. Lucier, P. Craft, T. “Predicting and Optimizing Two-Stroke Engine Performance Using Multidimensional CFD,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-32-0039 2004 10.4271/2004-32-0039
- ANSYS Fluent “Fluent 6.3 User's Guide” Fluent Inc 2005
- ANSYS Fluent “UDF Manual” Fluent Inc 2005
- Magnussen, B. F. “On the structure of turbulence and a generalized eddy dissipation concept for chemical reaction in turbulent flow” Aerospace Science Meeting 1981
- Jajcevic, D. Almbauer, R.A. Schmidt, S. P. Glinser, K. “Simulation Strategy and Analysis of a Two-Cylinder Two Stroke Engine Using CFD Code Fluent” European Automotive Simulation Conference (EASC) 2009
- Schmidt, S. Schoegl, O. Rothbauer, R.J. Eichlseder, H. et al. “An Integrated 3D CFD Simulation Methodology for the Optimization of the Mixture Preparation of 2-Stroke DI Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-32-0029 2007 10.4271/2007-32-0029