This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Behaviour of a Small Two-Stroke Engine with Direct Liquid Injection and Stratified Charge
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 27, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
High-pressure liquid fuel injection is a suitable means to get either stratified charge or homogeneous charge for two-stroke engines. This paper shows the development of this solution for a small 50 cm3 engine for light motorcycles. By means of computational fluid dynamics, a combustion chamber suitable for proper fuel distribution in every engine operating condition has been designed. It has been realized, and experimental results confirm its fairly satisfactory behaviour, with good fuel economy, low exhaust emissions and small cycle-to-cycle variation even at light loads. Recent CFD studies indicate how to improve engine geometry to achieve a better stratification stability at partial loads independently on engine speed.
CitationGentili, R., Zanforlin, S., Frigo, S., Dell'Orto, P. et al., "Behaviour of a Small Two-Stroke Engine with Direct Liquid Injection and Stratified Charge," SAE Technical Paper 2004-32-0061, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-32-0061.
- Zanforlin S. Cozzolino F. Gentili R. 2001 “Studio della camera di combustione per un motore a due tempi ad A. C. ad iniezione diretta liquida” 56° Congresso Nazionale ATI Napoli, Italy
- Gentili R. Frigo S. Zanforlin S. Cozzolino F. 2001 “Two-Stroke GDI: Improvement of Engine Behaviour at Light Loads” Pro. Int. Conf. ICE Capri, Italy
- Gentili R. Zanforlin S. Frigo S. Cozzolino F. Dell'Orto P. 2001 “Numerical and Experimental Study of Direct Injection for Charge Stratification in a 200 CC Two-Stroke Motorcycle Engine” Paper 2001-01-1785/4208, Small Engine Technology Conference and Exhibition Pisa, Italy
- Zanforlin S. Gentili R. Dell'Orto P. 2002 “Flow dynamics of charge stratification in Small GDI Two-Stroke Engine” ASME fall International Conference New Orleans, USA
- Zanforlin S. 2003 “Design improvement by CFD study of a GDI 50 cc two-stroke engine” 58° Congresso Nazionale ATI Padova, Italy
- Gentili R. Zanforlin S. Frigo S. Cozzolino F. Dell'Orto P. Doveri C. 2002 “Optimisation of a Stratified Charge Strategy for a Direct Injected Two-Stroke Engine” Paper 20024278 (JSAE), 2002-32-1785 (SAE), Small Engine Tecnology Conference and Exhibition Kyoto, Japan
- Zanforlin S. “Design Improvement by CFD Study of a 50 cc Two-stroke Engine” 58° Congresso Nazionale ATI San Martino di Castrozza, Italy 2003
- Gentili R. Zanforlin S. Dell'Orto P. “Stratified Charge GDI Two-Stroke Engine Solutions for Stable Fuel Confinement” Pro. Int. Conf. ICE 2003 Capri, Italy 2003
- Gentili R. Zanforlin S. Dell'Orto P. “Low Emission Small-Two Stroke Engine” Pro. Sino-Italian Symposium on Recycling and Environment" March 22-24 2004 Beijing (China)