This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Adaptive Lift Control for a Camless Electrohydraulic Valvetrain
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Camless actuation offers programmable flexibility in controlling engine valve events. However, a full range of engine benefits will only be available, if the actuation system can control lift profile characteristics within a particular lift event. Control of the peak value of valve lift is a first step in controlling the profile. The paper presents an adaptive feedback control of valve lift for a springless electrohydraulic valvetrain. The adaptive control maintains peak value of lift in presence of variations in engine speed, hydraulic fluid temperature and manufacturing variability of valve assemblies. The control design includes a reduced-order model of the system dynamics. Experimental results show dynamic behavior under various operating and environmental conditions and demonstrate advantages of adaptive control over the non-adaptive type.
|Technical Paper||Camless Engine Control for a Robust Unthrottled Operation|
|Technical Paper||Regenerative Hydraulic Topographies using High Speed Valves|
CitationAnderson, M., Tsao, T., and Levin, M., "Adaptive Lift Control for a Camless Electrohydraulic Valvetrain," SAE Technical Paper 981029, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/981029.
- Bassi A. Arcari F. Perrone F. “CEM-The Alfa Romeo Engine Management System - Design Concepts - Trends for the Future,” SAE paper 850290
- Inoue, K. Nagahiro K. Ajiki Y. Kishi N. “A High Power, Wide Torque Range, Efficient Engine with a Newly Developed Variable-Valve-Lift and -Timing Mechanism,” SAE paper 890675
- Kreuter P. Heuser, P. Scheeibitz, M. “Strategies to Improve SI-Engine Performance by Means of Variable Intake Lift, Timing and Duration,” SAE Paper 920449
- Aura Systems, sales literature El Segundo, California 1995
- Schechter M. Levin M. “Camless Engine,” SAE paper 960581
- Kim D. Anderson M. Tsao T. C. Levin M. “A Dynamic Model of a Springless Electrohydraulic Camless Valvetrain System,” SAE paper 970248
- Åström K. Wittenmark B. Adaptive Control Addison-Wesley Publishing Company Massachusetts 1995