This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Peformance Characteristics of Al MMC Rotor Materials
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Much work and effort has been expended in evaluating the performance of Aluminium Metal Matrix Composites and assessing their suitability for use as brake rotors. The majority of this work has focussed upon identifying the optimum type of reinforcing particle for satisfying thermal requirements and ease of manufacture. As a wider range of materials become available, it is clear that the friction mechanism at the braking interface is influenced by the type of composite used. This paper explores the performance levels available from a range of different rotor materials evaluated using a small scale rig and a full sized dynamometer.
CitationBoulton, S. and Whitaker, R., "Peformance Characteristics of Al MMC Rotor Materials," SAE Technical Paper 973025, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/973025.
- DWIVEDI R Performance of MMC Rotors in Dynamometer Testing SAE Paper No 940848 1994
- DWIVEDI R Development of Advanced Reinforced Aluminium Brake Rotors SAE Paper No 950264 1995
- FULLER K-H GROSS G HAUG T MÖRGENTHALER K Thermal Behaviour of MMC and CMC Materials for Brake Applications International Symposium on Automotive Technology and Automation (ISATA) Florence, Italy Paper No 96BS001 1996
- BUCH F H DENHOLME M J KANZAKI O WEINTRAUB M Aluminium Metal Matrix Composite Disc Brake Rotors International Symposium on Automotive Technology and Automation (ISATA) Florence, Italy Paper 96BS020 1996
- GRIEVE D G BARTON D C CROLLA D A CHAPMAN J L BUCKINGHAM J T Alternative Disc Brake Materials Symposium on Advances in Automotive Braking Technology University Of Leeds (IMechE) 1996
- FUNGANTI A LORENZI L Performance of a Redesigned MMC Automotive Brake Drum SAE Paper No 960994 1996
- NEITZEL B BARTH M MATIC M Weight Reduction of Disc Brake Systems with the Utilization of New Aluminium Material SAE Paper No 940335 1994
- WYCLIFFE P Friction and Wear of Duralcan Reinforced Aluminium Composites in Automotive Braking Systems SAE Paper 930187 1993
- CHAPMAN B J HATCH D Cast Iron Brake Rotor Metallurgy IMechE Conference on Braking of Road Vehicles, IMechE, Paper C35/76 1976
- COYLE J P Tsang P H S Microstructural Changes of Cast Iron Rotor Surfaces and Their Effects on Brake Performance and Wear Resistance SAE Paper No 830534 1983
- WHITAKER R WIRTH A Developments in Cast Iron Rotor Technology Symposium on Advances in Automotive Braking Technology University Of Leeds (IMechE) 1996
- AGHAJANIAN M K ANDERSON C A WIENER R J ROSSING B R High Reinforcement Content Metal Matrix Composites for Automotive Applications SAE Paper No 950263 1995
- TIROVIC M DAY AJ The Calculation of Temperatures in Brakes 2nd Brakes Workshop University of Bradford 1990
- WILSON A J BOWSHER G T Machine Testing for Brake Lining Classification SAE Paper No 710249 1971