This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling of the Fuel Behavior in the Intake Manifold of a Port-Injected Spark-Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to elaborate accurate injection-control strategies aimed at limiting pollutant emissions resulting from transient S.I. engines operation, it is necessary to gain better understanding of the mixture formation.
In this paper, we present the first stage of a software whose purpose is to model in a phenomenological way an S.I. engine cycle in order to study mixture formation during transient operation. With respect to crank angle, it computes pressures and flow-rates throughout the engine (from the throttle to the exhaust port), the description of liquid and vapor fuel in the intake ports and the instantaneous equivalence ratio of the mixture entering the cylinders.
It is shown the non homogeneity of the intake port and in-cylinder mixture during the cycle, the importance of the liquid fuel film flow and the influence of the flow rates and pressures calculations on the fuel behavior. Both steady-state and transient engine operation may be performed and give coherent results according to experimental data. We also achieve a parametric study on the fuel model which demonstrates its great sensitivity to its parameters (such as the wetted area, the fuel distribution angle, …). That is why our present work deals with the spray transportation, evaporation and impact on the port walls and with the wall film evaporation.
|Technical Paper||Optimization of an Automotive Cooling System Based on Exergy Analysis|
|Journal Article||Evaluation of Nonlinear Estimation Methods for Calibration of a Heat-Release Model|
CitationSches, C., Guilain, S., and Maroteaux, F., "Modeling of the Fuel Behavior in the Intake Manifold of a Port-Injected Spark-Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 972992, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/972992.
- Almkvist G. Denbratt I. Josefsson G. Magnusson I. Measurements of Fuel Film Thickness in the Inlet Port of an S.I. Engine by Laser Induced Fluorescence SAE Technical Papers 1995 SAE 952483
- Aquino C. Transient A/F control characteristics of the 5 liter central fuel injection engine SAE Technical Papers 1981 SAE 810494
- Aquino C. Fozo S. Transient A/F characteristics for cold operation liter engine with sequential fuel injection SAE Technical Papers 1988 SAE 880691
- Amstutz A. Fekete N.P. Powell J.D. Model-Based Air-Fuel Ratio Control in SI Engines with a Switch-Type EGO Sensor 1994 SAE Technical Papers 940972
- Anderson R. Kaiser E. Siegl W. Yang J. Effects of port injection timing and fuel droplet size on total and speciated exhaust hydrocarbon emissions SAE Technical Papers 1993 SAE 930711
- Baker T. Myers D. Nightingale C. Port throttles applied to a high performance four-valve SI engine IMechE 1992
- Bracco F. Emerson J. Felton P. Structure of sprays from fuel injectors part III, the Ford air-assisted fuel injector SAE Technical Papers 1990 SAE 900478
- Bandel W. Herzog P. Rokita R. Mixture preparation optimization for gasoline engines on a dynamic test flow rig IMechE 1993
- Boam D. Boyle R. Finlay I. Cold start performance of an automotive engine using pre-vaporized gasoline SAE Technical Papers 1993 SAE 930710
- Brown C.N. Ladommatos N. A Numerical Study of Fuel Evaporation and Transportation in the Intake Manifold of a Port-Injected S.I. Engine 1991 Proc Instn Mech Engrs 1991 205
- Byers R. Nogi T. Saikalis G. Study on air assist fuel injector atomization and effects on exhaust emission reduction SAE Technical Papers 1993 SAE 930323
- Cristiani M. Pontoppidan M. Consequences of atomization improvement of port injectors by air shrouding theory and industrial solution SAE Technical Papers 1993 SAE 930322
- Guilain S. Vignes J. 1993 48
- Hayashi S. Sawa N. Measurement of Fuel Liquid-Film Flow in intake Pipe of Two-Stroke Motorcycle Engine Using Conductive-Probe 1984 SAE Technical Papers 840554
- Hendricks E. Jensen M. Kaidantzis P. Rasmussen P. Vesterholm T. Transient A/F Ratio Errors in Conventional SI Engine Controllers 1993 SAE Technical Papers 930856
- JANAF Thermochemical Tables third 1985 J. of Physical and Chemical Reference Data 14
- Krieger R.B. Borman G.L. The Computation of Apparent Heat Release for Internal Combustion Engines ASME Paper 1966
- Lacas F. Scoufflaire P. Versaevel P. 1993
- Maroteaux Benyettou F. Thelliez M. Modeling of Unsteady Multiphase Flow in the Intake Manifold of S.I. Engines 1991 SAE Technical Papers 910392
- Olikara C. Borman G.L. A Computer Program for Calculating Properties of Equilibrium Combustion Products with some Applications to I.C. Engines SAE Technical Papers 1975 SAE 750468
- Onder C.H. Geering H.P. Model-Based Multivariable Speed and Air-to-Fuel Ratio Control of an SI Engine 1993 SAE Technical Papers 930859
- Turin R.C. Casartelli E.G.B. Geering H.P. A New Model for Fuel Supply in a S.I. Engine 1994 SAE Technical Papers 940208