This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Viscosity Influence on Friction Conditions and Fuel Economy of Automobiles - Some Basic Considerations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Decreasing viscosity for improving the fuel economy by reducing the mechanical friction under hydrodynamic conditions simultaneously will cause increased areas of mixed film lubrication regimes. As a consequence, higher wear has to be taken into account. Therefore, a balance between improved fuel economy on one side and increasing wear by lower viscosities on the other side has to be established.
Based on an efficiency analysis of automobil gears and engines the influence of the mechanical efficiencies on the fuel economy will be estimated. In doing so, influences of viscosity, of viscosity index, of temperature and shear rate on viscosity will be analyzed regarding their effect on fuel economy.
CitationBartz, W., "Viscosity Influence on Friction Conditions and Fuel Economy of Automobiles - Some Basic Considerations," SAE Technical Paper 972858, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/972858.
- Lonstrup, T. F. Bachmann, H. E. Smith, C. R. Testing the Fuel Economy Characteristics of Engine Oils SAE Paper 790949 1979
- Rowe, C. N. Reduction of Engine Friction Losses via Lubricant Chemistry and Physical Properties Gordon Research Conference „Friction, Lubrication and Wear” New London, N. H. 1980
- Thiele, E. Aufteilung von Reibungsverlusten von Dieselmotoren (Distribution of Friction Losses in Diesel Engines) Schmiertechnik und Tribologie 25 1978 6 202 206
- Pinkus, O. Wilcock, D. F. The Role of Tribology in Energy Conservation Lubrication Engineering 34 1978 11 599 610
- Bartz, W. J. Potentielle Kraftstoffeinsparung durch Verbesserung des mechanischen Wirkungsgrades (Potential Fuel Savings by Increased Mechanical Efficiencies) Proc. Symp. „Leichtlaufmotorenöle (Fuel Economy Engine Oils)” Technische Akdemie Esslingen 1984 1.1 1.22
- Bartz, W. J. Fuel Economy Improvement by Appropriate Engine and Gear Oils CEC-Conference
- Georgi, C. W. The Effects of Motor Oils and Additives on Engine Fuel Consumption SAE Trans. 62 1954 385 391
- Passut, C. A. Kollmann, R. E. Laboraotry Techniques for Evaluation of Engine Oil Effects on Fuel Economy SAE Paper 780601 1978