This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dynamic Analysis of Layshaft Gears in Automotive Transmission
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 20, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper, we will present parametric results of performing dynamic analysis of layshaft gear trains typically used in automotive transmissions with emphasis on the vibratory response due to transmission error excitation. A three-dimensional multiple degrees of freedom lumped parameter dynamic model of a generic layshaft type geared rotor system (with three parallel rotating shafts coupled by two sets of gear pairs) has been formulated analytically. The model includes the effects of both rotational and translational displacements of each gears, and bounce and pitch motions of the counter-shaft. The natural frequencies and mode shapes are computed numerically by solving an eigenvalue problem derived from applying harmonic solutions to the equations of motion. The complete set of mode shapes are then used in forced response calculations based on the modal expansion method to predict gear accelerations, dynamic transmission errors, mesh force and bearing loads. Structural resonance prediction is validated by comparison to finite element result of a baseline system. The proposed model is also used to examine the effects of system parameters such as counter-shaft diameter and bearing stiffnesses on the dynamic response due to transmission error excitation. Results of these two case studies are discussed in this article.
CitationLim, T. and Houser, D., "Dynamic Analysis of Layshaft Gears in Automotive Transmission," SAE Technical Paper 971964, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971964.
- Benton M. and Seireg A., “Factors Influencing Instability and Resonances in Geared Systems,” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 103, pp. 372-378, 1981.
- Iida H. and Tamura A., “Coupled Torsional-flexural Vibration of a Shaft in a Geared System,” Proceedings of the IMechE Conference on Vibrations in Rotating Machinery, pp. 67-72, 1984.
- Iida H., Tamura A., Oonishi M., “Coupled Torsional-flexural Vibration of a Shaft in Geared System, 3rd Report, Dynamic Characteristics of a Counter Shaft in a Gear Train System,” Bulletin of JSME, Vol. 28, pp. 2694-2698, 1985.
- Iida H., Tamura A. and Yamamoto H., “Dynamic Characteristics of a Gear Train System with Softly Supported Shafts,” Bulletin of JSME, Vol. 29, pp. 1811-1816, 1986.
- Umezawa K., Ajima T. and Houjoh H., “Vibration of Three Axes Gear System,” Bulletin of JSME, Vol. 29, pp. 950-957, 1986.
- Choy F.K., Tu Y.K., Savage M. and Townsend D.P., “Vibration Signature Analysis of Multi-stage Gear Transmission,” Proceedings of the ASME International Conference on Gearing and Power Transmission, pp. 383-387, 1989.
- Velex P. and Saada A., “A Model for the Dynamic Behavior of Multistage Geared Systems,” Proceedings of the 8th World Congress on The Theory of Machines and Mechanisms, Vol. 2, pp. 621-624, 1991.
- Ewins D.J., Modal Testing: Theory and Practise, Research Studies Press Ltd., England, 1986.
- The MacNeal-Schwendler Corporation, MSC/Nastran Finite Element Software Version 68, 1996.