This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
On Board Diagnosis of Internal Combustion Engines: A New Model Definition and Experimental Validation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In recent years there has been an increasing worldwide effort to limit polluting emissions from road vehicles. The On Board II Diagnostic (OBD II) regulations adopted by California Air Resources Board (CARB) are among the most restrictive rules. They require on-board devices which monitor emission control systems in order to identify deterioration or malfunction of components.
For automotive purpose, the high cost of achieving hardware redundancy can be reduced by substituting software redundancy. This approach requires an engine model definition. In this work the application of the Artificial Neural Networks (ANNs) technology, is analyzed and validated by experiments. First model has been tested under varying load conditions with very encouraging results.
CitationGrimaldi, C. and Mariani, F., "On Board Diagnosis of Internal Combustion Engines: A New Model Definition and Experimental Validation," SAE Technical Paper 970211, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970211.
SAE 1997 Transactions - Journal of Commercial Vehicles
Number: V106-2; Published: 1998-09-15
Number: V106-2; Published: 1998-09-15
- California Air Resources Board Mail Out #91-01 January 1991
- Azzoni, P. M. Minelli, G. Moro, D. Rizzoni, G. “Endothermic Reciprocating Engine Modelisation for Diagnostics” 48° National Congress of ATI (Italian Thermotechnical Association) Taormina, Italy October 1993
- Milazzo, A. N. Bidini, G. “Thermodynamic Monitoring and Misfunction Detection in Turbocharged Diesel Engines” Flowers '92 Florence, Italy 7-12 June 1992
- Azzoni, P.M. Minelli, G. Rizzoni, G. “On-Board Diagnosis of Emissions Control System Malfunctions in Electronically Controlled Spark Ignition Engines” Internatonal on fault Diagnosis Toulouse, France 1993
- Luh, G., C. Rizzoni, G. “Identification of a Nonlinear MIMO IC Engine Model During IM/240 Driving Cycle for on Board Diagnosis” Proc. 1994 American Control Conference Baltimore, MD June 1994
- Puttré, M. “Neural Networks Provide Solutions to Nonlinear Problems” Mechanical Engineering 69 72 ASME October 1993
- Kraft, T. Okagaki, K. Ishii, R. Surko, P. “Hybrid Neural Net and Rule Based System for Boiler Monitoring and Diagnosis” Proceedings of the American Power Conference 53-II Chicago, USA 1991
- Bacha, H. “Automated Load Forecasting Using Neural Networks” Proceedings of the American Power Conference 54-II Chicago, USA 1992
- Ipakchi, A. Khadem, M. Alexandro, F.J. Colley, R.W. Neural Network Applications to Measurement Calibration Verification in Power Plants” Proceedings of the American Power Conference 53-II 958 963 Chicago, USA 1991
- Khadem, M. Alexandro, F.J. Colley, R.W. “Application of Neural Networks to Validation of Feedwater Flow Rate in a Nuclear Power Plants” Proceedings of the American Power Conference 55-II 842 847 Chicago, USA 1993
- Bidini, G. Grimaldi, C., N. Mariani, F. “Applicazione delle Reti Neurali Artificiali ai Problemi Energetici” Proceedings of the 49th National Congress of ATI (Italian Thermotechnical Association) 26-30 September Perugia, Italy 1994
- Grimaldi, C., N. Mariani, F. “Artificial Neural Networks for the Evaluation of the Energy Requirements in Manufacturing Plants” Proceedings of the 1994 Winter Annual Meeting of ASME Chicago, USA 1994
- Bidini, G. Grimaldi, C., N. Mariani, F. “Innovative Control and Diagnostic Techniques for Cogeneration Plant Steam Generators” Proceedings of the Cogen-Turbo Power '95 Vienna, Austria 1995
- Bidini, G. Desideri, U. Scarpa, M. “Previsione dei Fabbisogni di Energia Elettrica con Tecniche di Intelligenza Artificiale” VII Italian National Congress on Complex Technologies and Energy Systems 15-16 June 1995 Bologna, Italy 1995
- Grimaldi, C., N. Mariani, F. Saetta, S. “Possible Applications of Artificial Intelligence Techniques to the Maintenance of Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engenes for Cogeneration” SMI'95 - I International Congress on Plant Maintenance Bologna, Italy September 1995
- Grimaldi, C., N. Mariani, F. “Prediction of the Energy Requirements in a Refrigeration Plant Using Advanced Simulation Techniques” ASME Proceedings of the Engineering Systems Design and Analysis Conference 73 237 243 Montpellier, France 1996
- Nguyen, D. Widrow, B. “Improving the Learning speed of 2-Layer Neural Networks by Choosing Initial Values of the Adaptive Weights” International Joint Conference of Neural Networks 3 21 26 1990
- Dayhoff, Y. “Neural Network Architectures” Van Nastrand Reinhold New York 1990
- Rumelhart D., E. McClelland, J. L. “Parallel Distributed Processing” 1 2 Cambridge, Mass. MIT Press 1986
- De Villiers, J. Barnard, E. “Backpropagation Neural Nets with One and Two Hidden Layers” IEEE Transaction on Neural Networks 4 1 1993