This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improvement of BSFC by Reducing Diesel Engine Cooling Losses with Emulsified Fuel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes how cooling loss reductions influence engine performance with emulsified fuel operation. The cooling loss ϕw during combustion was determined from the gas pressure in the cylinder at various conditions and the cooling water loss ϕc through the whole of the engine cycle was measured by changing the cooling water temperature.
It was found that the indicated thermal efficiency varies with the change in cooling loss ϕw and cooling water loss ϕc versus the change of cooling water temperature. As a feature of emulsified fuel combustion it was determined that the reduced cooling loss improves the indicated thermal efficiency.
CitationYoshimoto, Y., Tsukahara, M., and Kuramoto, T., "Improvement of BSFC by Reducing Diesel Engine Cooling Losses with Emulsified Fuel," SAE Technical Paper 962022, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/962022.
- Murayama T, Tsukahara M, et al, “Experimental Reduction of NOx, Smoke, and BSFC in a Diesel Engine Using Uniquely Produced Water (0-80%) to Fuel Emulsion” SAE Paper 780224, SAE Trans 87, 1979
- Tsukahara M, Murayama T, and Yoshimoto Y, “Influence of Fuel Properties on the Combustion in Diesel Engine Driven by the Emulsified Fuels” Bulletin of the JSME, 25-202 1982
- Tsukahara M, Murayama T, et al, “Influence of Combustion Chamber Configurations on the Combustion in Diesel Engine Driven by Emulsified Fuel”, Bulletin of the JSME 25-208, 1982
- Yoshimoto Y, and Tsukahara M., “Influence of Injection Characteristics on the Performance of a Diesel Engine Driven by Emulsified Fuel (1st Report Spray Characteristics of Emulsified Fuel)” Trans of the JSME, 54-503 B 1988, (In Japanese)
- Tsukahara M., Yoshimoto Y, and Kusumoto K., “Influence of Injection Characteristics on the Performance of a Diesel Engine Driven by Emulsified Fuel (2nd Report, Spray Characteristics and Engine Performance)”, Trans of the JSME 54-506, B, 1988, (In Japanese)
- Tsukahara M., Yoshimoto Y, and Murayama T, “W/O Emulsion Realizes Low Smoke and Efficient Operation of DI Engines without High Pressure Injection” SAE Paper 890449 SAE Trans 98, 1990
- Tsukahara M Yoshimoto Y and Murayama T, “Influence of Emulsified Fuel Properties on the Reduction of BSFC in a Diesel Engine”, SAE Paper 891841, SAE Trans 98 1990
- Tsukahara M Yoshimoto Y and Kinefuchi M, “Influence of the Diameter of Single Hole Nozzles on the Performance of a Diesel Engine Driven by Emulsified Fuel” Trans of the JSME, 57-542 B 1991, (In Japanese)
- Tsukahara M., and Yoshimoto Y, “Reduction of NOx, Smoke BSFC and Maximum Combustion Pressure by Low Compression Ratios in a Diesel Engine Fueled by Emulsified Fuel” SAE Paper 920464 1992
- Yoshimoto Y and Tsukahara M, “Influence of Injection Direction on Performance of Diesel Engine with Emulsified Fuel” Journal of the MESJ 28-3, 1993, (In Japanese)