This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vehicle Development for Frontal/Offset Crash Using Lumped Parameter Modeling
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents an engineering methodology of developing lumped parameter (LP) models for frontal and offset crash. A parametric study was conducted on validated LP models with a design of experiment (DOE) approach based on the variance optimization method. This approach is used to determine the optimal combination of input design variables in order to achieve good vehicle performance.
An LP model for 40% offset deformable barrier is developed using similar methodology. The test procedure and the properties of the deformable barrier are similar to those proposed by the European Experimental Vehicles Committee (EEVC). The LP model is developed with the capability to model the passenger compartment intrusion. Rearward movement of A-pillar movement on the struck side of the vehicle is studied using the LP model and conclusions are drawn.
CitationCheva, W., Yasuki, T., Gupta, V., and Mendis, K., "Vehicle Development for Frontal/Offset Crash Using Lumped Parameter Modeling," SAE Technical Paper 960437, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/960437.
- Crashworthiness Evaluation, a report on frontal offset crash test results by Insurance Institute for Highway Safety May 1995
- EASi-MASS User's Manual Complete Package for Lumped Mass Crash Analysis May 1995 EASi Engineering
- LS-DYNA3D Livermore Software Technology Corporation 1994
- Qualitek-4 “Automatic Design and Analysis of Taguchi Experiments” Nutek Inc.
- Planath-Skogsmo Ingrid Nilsson Richard Volvo Car Corporation “Frontal Crash Test - A Comparison of Methods” SAE paper no. 942228 1994