This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Unsteady Multiphase Intake Flow in a Port-injected Gasoline Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For spark ignition engines, the fuel-air mixture preparation process is known to have a significant influence on engine performance, exhaust emissions and fuel economy. In this work, a one-dimensional, unsteady, multicomponent, multiphase flow model has been developed to study the mixture formation process in the intake manifold for a port-injected gasoline engine. The model consists of three major parts: a gas-phase model, a multicomponent droplet vaporization model and a liquid-film model. Three subsets of equations are solved by a hybrid Eulerian-Lagrangian, explicit-implicit scheme.
The model not only quantitatively identifies the effects of each parameter on the final mixture but also shows the interactive influences of three phases of the mixture during the process. As a development and calibration tool, the model helps to understand the behavior of multiphase flow in the intake port, and can give guidelines toward achieving more efficient, clean and smooth engine operation.
|Technical Paper||Study of CNG Fueled Two-Wheeled Vehicle with Electronically Controlled Gas Injection System|
|Technical Paper||The Influence of Induction and Exhaust Processes on Emissions and Fuel Consumption in the Spark Ignited Engine|
CitationChen, G. and Aggarwal, S., "Unsteady Multiphase Intake Flow in a Port-injected Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 960074, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/960074.
- Dobner, Donald J. A Mathematical Engine Model for Development of Dynamic Engine Control SAE paper 800054
- Aquino, C. F. Transient A/F Control Characteristics of the 5 Liter Central Fuel Injection Engine SAE paper 810494 1981
- Hendricks, E. Sorenson, S. C. Mean Value Modeling of Spark Ignition Engines SAE paper 900616 1990
- Chen, G. Vincent, M. T. Gutermuth, T. R. The Behavior of Multiphase Fuel-Flow in the Intake Port SAE paper 940445 1994
- Turin, Raymond Geering, Hans P. On-Line Identification of Air-to-Fuel Ratio Dynamics in a Sequentially Injected SI Engine SAE paper 930857 1993
- Lo, R. S. Investigation of Fuel-Droplet Flow in an Idealized Automotive Engine Induction System Wayne State University Detroit, Michigan 1976
- Yun, H. J. Lo, R. S. Na, T. Y. Theoretical Studies of Fuel Droplet Evaporation and Transportation in a Carburetor Venturi SAE paper 760289 1976
- Boam, D. J. Finlay, I. C. Martins, J. G. A Model for Predicting Engine Torque Response During Rapid Throttle Transients in Port-injected Spark-Ignition Engines SAE paper 890565 1989
- Servati, H. B. Investigation of the Behavior of Fuel in the Intake Manifold and its Relation to S. I. Engines University of California Santa Barbara 1984
- Servati, H. B. Yuen, W. W. Deposition of Fuel Droplets in Horizontal Intake Manifolds and Behavior of Fuel Film Flow on Its Walls University of California Santa Barbara SAE 840239 1984
- Yuen, W. W. Servati, H. A Mathematical Engine Model Including the Effect of Engine Emissions University of California Santa Barbara, CA SAE 840036 1984
- Maroteaux, D. Study of Fuel-Air Mixture Formation in Spark Ignition Engines University of Paris France Feb. 1992
- Aggarwal, S.K. Modeling of Multicomponent Fuel Spray International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 30 291 302 1987
- Aggarwal, S.K. Chen, G. Jackson, T. A. Switzer, G. L. Vaporization Behavior of Fuel Droplets in a Hot Air Stream International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 30 2669 2673 1991
- Chen, G. Puri, I. K. Aggarwal, S. K. Droplet Evaporation in a Nonpremixed Counterflowing Flame A1AA 29th Aerospace Sciences Meeting Reno, Nevada January 1991
- Chen, G. Vaporization Behavior of Pure and Multicomponent Fuel Droplets in a Hot Air Stream University of Illinois Chicago 1989
- Chen, G. Study of Fuel-air Mixture Formation in a Port-injected Gasoline Engine University of Illinois Chicago 1995
- Johnen, T. Haug, M. Spray Formation Observation and Fuel Film Development Measurements in the Intake of a Spark Ignition Engine SAE paper 950511 1995
- Takeda, K. Yaegashi, T. Seklguchi, K. Saito, K. Mixture Preparation and HC Emissions of a 4- Valve Engine With Port Fuel Injection During Cold Starting and Warm-up ISATA paper 94EN034 Achen, Germany 1994
- Hanratty, T. J. Engen, J. M. Investigation of the Liquid Petrol Wall Film in the Manifold for a Carburetted Spark Ignition Engine: Effect of Carburetor and Manifold Geometry on Wall Film Quantities, Engine Performance and Emissions Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs. 203 77 89 1989
- Charvonia, D. A. An Experimental Investigation of the Mean Liquid Film Thickness and the Characteristics of the Interfacial Surface in Annular, Two-phase Flow ASME paper 1961