This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Detection of Flame Propagation Pattern in a Spark Ignition Engine Using Gasket Ion Sensor
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to reduce the exhaust emission and the fuel consumption in a spark ignition engine, the combustion diagnostics had been developed. However, there are few sensors which can detect the combustion quality for the individual cycle and cylinder in production engines. In previous study, the new technique using a gasket ion sensor for measuring the combustion quality has been proposed. In present study, the flame propagation pattern in a spark ignition engine was detected by using a gasket ion sensor with a circular electrode. The waveforms of ion current obtained from a circular ion sensor were compared with the flame propagation pattern obtained from multiple ion sensors. When the mixture was ignited in offset center of the cylinder, the flame propagation pattern was distorted from the spherical pattern. Then the waveforms of ion current from the circular ion sensor were varied from the waveform for a center ignition. The peak location of ion current was coincident with the peak location of heat release rate. This is because the contact area between the flame and the ion sensor is largest when the surface area of flame is largest.
The circular sensor is available to detect the variation of the flame propagation pattern and the peak location of heat release rate.
CitationYoshiyama, S., Tomita, E., Tabuchi, N., Matsumoto, K. et al., "Detection of Flame Propagation Pattern in a Spark Ignition Engine Using Gasket Ion Sensor," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1919, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1919.
Direct Fuel Injection, Engine Diagnostics, and New Developments in Powertrain Triboligy, Cvt, Atf, and Fuel Economy
Number: SP-1891; Published: 2004-06-08
Number: SP-1891; Published: 2004-06-08
- Eriksson, L. Nielsen L. Glavenius, M. Closed Loop Ignition Current Interpretation SAE No. 970854 1997
- Asano, M. Kuma, T. Kajitani, M. Takeychi, M. Development of New Ion Current Combustion Control System SAE No. 980162 1998
- Hamamoto, Y. Yoshiyama, S. Tomita, E. Ueda, A. Combustion Diagnostics Using a Spark Plug as Ion Probe Transaction of JSME 60 572 1994 1486 1492
- Yoshiyama, S. Tomita, E. Hamamoto, Y. Fundamental Study on Combustion Diagnostics Using a Spark Plug as Ion Probe SAE Paper No. 2000-01-2828 2000
- Yoshiyama, S. Tomita, E. Combustion Diagnostics of a Spark Ignition Engine Using a Spark Plug as an Ion Probe SAE Paper No. 2002-01-2838 2002 1 7
- Saitzkoff, A. Reinmann, R. Berglind, T. Glavmo, M. An Ionization Equilibrium Analysis of the Spark Plug as an Ionization Sensor SAE Paper No. 960337 1996
- Lee, B. Guezennec, Y. G. Rizzoni, G. Estimation of Cycle-resolved In-cylinder Pressure and Air-fuel Ratio Using Spark Plug Ionization Current Sensing International Journal of Engine Research 2 4 263 276
- Frank, A. Reinmann, R. Larsson, A. The Role of the Electrodes for the Ionization Sensor Signal SAE Paper No. 2003-01-0714 2003 1 10
- Witze Cycle-Resolved Multipoint Ionization Probe Measurements in a Spark Ignition Engine SAE Paper No. 892099 1989
- Witze Interpretation of Head-Gasket Ionization - Probe Measurements Using a Two-Zone Spherical Flame Model Proceedings of International Symposium COMODIA 94 1994 453 458
- Yoshiyama, S. Tomita, E. Tabuchi, N. Matsumoto, K. Matsuki, K. Combustion Diagnostics of a Spark Ignition Engine by Using Gasket Ion Sensor SAE No. 2003-01-1801
- Suzuki, T. Hashimoto, Y. Mashiko, I. Hirano, T. Ion-Current Fluctuations Recorded with a Cylindrical Electrostatic Probe Passing Premixed Flames Combustion and Flame 36 1979 179 191
- Hamamoto, Y. Tomita, E. Yoshiyama, S. Turbulent Premixed Flames in Closed Combustion Chambers JSME International Journal, Series B 39 2 1996 171 175
- Tomita, E. Yoshiyama, S. Ohkura, Y. Tabuchi, H. Hamamoto, Y. Turbulent Premixed Flames under Lean Conditions Studied with Ion Current Measurement in a Homogeneous Charge Spark-Ignition Engine SAE Paper No. 2000-01-1940 2000
- Kinbara, T. Physics of Combustion of Gasses 1985 Syokabo
- Hamamoto, Y. Tomita, E. Turbulence Characteristics of Swirl in an I. C. Engine Cylinder JSAE Review 9 4 1989 4 9
- Yoshiyama, S. Hamamoto, Y. Tomita, E. Minami, K. Measurement of Hydrocarbon Fuel Concentration by Means of infrared Absorption tech-nique with 3.39 mm He-Ne Laser JSAE Review 17 4 1996 339 345
- Yoshiyama, S. Tomita, E. Zhang, Z. Hamamoto, Y. Measurement and Simulation of Turbulent Flame Propagation in a Spark Ignition Engine by Using Fractal Burning Model SAE Paper No. 2001-01-3603 2001