This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study on Combustion Behavior of a Diesel Fuel Spray Impinging on a Wall
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Combustion Characteristics of a diesel fuel spray impinging on a wall were studied, using a constant volume combustion vessel. Pressure and temperature inside the vessel. and fuel injection specification were set at the typical values of small DI diesel engines of 90-100 mm cylinder bore size.
The indicated pressure analysis and combustion observation indicate that present analysis enables the evaluation of the mixture formation affected by impingement wall, corresponding to a small actual DI diesel engine. By lowering impingement wall temperature from 840 K to 620 K, ignition point shifts upstream along the spray from a portion near the wall, and ignition delay is shortened.
Although ignition occurs earlier at shorter impingement length, its ignition time difference become less at shorter ignition delay condition, where, however, the heat release rate changes greatly and it gives a maximum at a certain impingement length. This value almost corresponds to the break tip length of fuel spray.
CitationTomonaga, T., Murai, K., Takano, T., and Sami, H., "A Study on Combustion Behavior of a Diesel Fuel Spray Impinging on a Wall," SAE Technical Paper 960028, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/960028.
Investigations Into Diesel Engine Combustion Processes
Number: SP-1159; Published: 1996-02-01
Number: SP-1159; Published: 1996-02-01
- Sakata, I. Ishisaka, K. Yanagihara, H. Sami, H. Nagaoka, M. Ohsawa, K. “Development of TOYOTA Reflex Burn (TRB) System in DI diesel” SAE Paper 900658 1990
- Kitamura, T. Matsuoka, S. “Development of Slanting Wall-Impingement Type Carpet-roll Combustion System of DI Diesel Engine” Transactions of JSAE 22 1 33 37 1991
- Won, Y.H. Kosaka, H. Kamimoto, T. “Mixing Enhancement in Diesel-Like Flames via Flame Impingement on Turbulence-Generating Plates” SAE Paper 922210 1992
- Suzuki, M. Nishida, K. Hiroyasu, H. “Simultaneous Measurement of Fuel Vapor Concentration and Droplets Density in an Evaporating Diesel Spray with Laser Light Absorption and Scattering (1st Report, Development of Measuring Technique)” Transactions of JSME 59 558 329 337 1993
- Suzuki, M. Nishida, K. Hiroyasu, H. “Mixture Formation Process in a Diesel Spray with High Injection Pressure (Analysis of Diesel Spray Impinging upon a Flat Wall)” Transactions of JSME 59 568 338 345 1993
- Senda, J. Fukami, Y. Tanabe, Y. Fijimoto, H. “Visualization of Evaporative Diesel Spray Impinging upon Wall Surface by Exciplex Fluorescence Method” SAE Paper 920578 1992
- Zurlo, J.R. Chigier, N. “Impinging Diesel Spray Dynamics” Atomization and Spray 1 303 318 1991
- Nishida, K. Min, J.C. Yoshida, H. Hiroyasu, H. “Computed Tomographic Study on the Internal Structure of a Diesel Spray Impinging on a Flat Wall Transactions of JSME 57 537 362 368 1991
- Kamimoto, T. Kando, H. Kobayashi, H. “An Experimental Study on the Applicability of the Light Extinction Method to a High Density Particle Cloud” Transactions of JSME 53 488 1468 1472 1987
- Fujimoto, H. Saito, M. Minoura, A. Senda, J. “Characteristics of a Diesel Spray Impinging on a Flat Wall” Transactions of JSME 54 504 2252 2258 1988
- Katsura, N. Saito, M. Senda, J. Fujimoto, H. “Characteristics of a Diesel Spray Impinging on a Flat Wall (2nd Paper)” Transactions of JSME 56 521 227 233 1990
- Saito, M. Hashimoto, A. Nagae, M. Senda, J. Fujimoto, H. Transactions of JSME 57 543 333 339 1991
- Kato, S. Onishi, S. Tanabe, H. Sato, T. “Development of Low NOx Emission Diesel Engine by Impingement of Fuel Jet” SAE Paper 921645 99 110 1992
- Hiroyasu, H. Arai, M. “Fuel Spray Penetration and Spray Angle in Diesel Engines” Transactions of JSAE 21 5 11 1980
- Nakakita, K. Miwa, K. Ohsawa, K. Takahashi, T. Watanabe, T. Sami, H. “Effects of High Pressure Fuel Injection on the Combustion and Exhaust Emissions of a High-Speed DI Diesel Engine” JSAE Review 12 1 18 25 1991
- Takano, T. Kobayasi, K. “Vaporization Behavior of a Single Droplet Impinging on a Heated Surface with a Flame-Sprayed Ceramic Coating” Transactions of JSME 55 515 2000 2005 1989