This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
NVH Optimization of an In-Line 4-Cylinder Powertrain
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The NVH optimization is a key issue for the development of future powertrains. This includes the radiated noise in terms of noise level and sound quality as well as the structure-borne noise excitation via the engine mounts. Experience shows that there are generally no single noise relevant components on modern powertrains which dominate the NVH behaviour. In contrast, a good NVH performance can only be achieved if the optimization process includes every single component and excitation. Only the combination of these optimized designs can lead to a first-class powertrain NVH.
Within this paper the NVH optimization process of an existing 4-cylinder in-line spark-ignition powertrain is described. Examples for positive NVH designs are presented and their effect on the NVH behaviour are explained. Combining all positive NVH features into the engine resulted in a noise reduction of 3-5 dBA without any negative effect on fuel economy and performance.
CitationQuerengässer, J., Meyer, J., Wolschendorf, J., and Nehl, J., "NVH Optimization of an In-Line 4-Cylinder Powertrain," SAE Technical Paper 951294, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/951294.
- Schmillen K. Schwaderlapp M. Wolschendorf J. Primary Noise Reduction Measures on IDI Diesel Engines SAE 931309
- Vorwerk C. Busch G. Kaiser H.-J. Wilhelm M. Influence of Bottom End Design on Engine Noise and Vibration Behavior of 4-Cylinder In-Line Gasoline Engines SAE 931315
- Busch G. Maurell R. Meyer J. Investigations on Influence of Engine Block Design Features on Noise and Vibration SAE 911071
- Essers U. Gutzmer P. Kuipers G. 1984
- Anderton D. Zheng J. H. A New Measurement Method for Separating Airborne and Structure Borne Sound from an IC Engines Valve Train Mechanism SAE 931335
- Bürger K. G. Gröter H. P. Lutz H. J. Meyer F. Schleuter W. 1994
- Haller H. Beisenbusch K. Spessert B. Cordes H. Querengässer J. Noise Excitation by Auxiliary Units of Internal Com-bustion Engines SAE 931293
- Ziegler K. Gregotsch K.