This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Biomechanical Experimental Studies of the Lumbar Spine Under Static and Dynamic Loading Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
During the past decades the number of spinal injuries has increased. Traffic accidents are the cause of more than 50 per cent of these injuries. Fractures and dislocations of the vertebrae as well as minor spinal injuries can cause both acute and chronic pain or disability. Knowledge of the biomechanical response of the spine under static and dynamic loads would lead to a better understanding of the injury mechanisms and to improved methods of prevention, diagnosis, and treatment. This information could also be useful to validate mechanical and mathematical models of the spine.
In this overview of the literature, biomechanical experimental methods and results for the lumbar spine under different loading conditions are presented and discussed. Numerous experimental studies on lumbar spine response and stability to static loads, especially in the physiological range of motion, have been reported in the literature, both for flexion, extension, lateral bending, compression and torsion. Most experiments are made on a single motion segment, consisting of two adjacent vertebrae, the disc and the surrounding ligaments.
A few studies have reported on the traumatic static, quasistatic and dynamic mechanical behaviour and the failure mechanisms of the lumbar spine, especially for flexion and compression. Some data is also available from dynamic loading of lumbar spine components (ligaments, bone, disc). Response and tolerance data for dynamic loads as well as for combined modes of impact are limited and the range of motion data are sparse.
CitationOsvalder, A., "Biomechanical Experimental Studies of the Lumbar Spine Under Static and Dynamic Loading Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 950661, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/950661.
Advances in Occupant Protection Technologies for the Mid-Nineties
Number: SP-1077; Published: 1995-02-01
Number: SP-1077; Published: 1995-02-01
- AAAM 1980 Abbreviated Injury Scale 1980 American Association for Automotive Medicine Morton Grove
- Adams, M.A. Dolan, P.A. 1991 Technique for Quantifying the Bending Moment Acting on the Lumbar Spine In Vivo J. Biomechanics 2 117 126
- Adams, M.A. Hutton, W.C. 1982 Prolapsed Intervertebral Disc - A Hyper-Flexion Injury Spine 7 184 191
- Adams, M.A. Hutton, W.C. Stoff, S.R.R. 1980 The Resistance to Flexion of the Lumbar Intervertebral Joint Spine 5 245 253
- Arnold, J.S. 1978 Amount of Quality of Trabecular Bone in Osteoporotic Vertebral Fractures Clin Endocrinol Metabol 2 221 238
- Begeman, P.C. King, A.I. Prasad, P 1973 Spinal Loads Resulting from -Gx Acceleration Proc. 17th Stapp Car Crash Conf Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 309 342
- Bell, G.H. Dunbar, O. Beck, J.S. Gibb, A. 1967 Variation in Strength of Vertebrae with Age and Their Relation to Osteoporosis Calif. Tissue Res. 1 75
- Carter, D.R. Hayes, W.C. 1976 Bone Compressive Strength: The Influence of Density and Strain Rate Science 194 1174 1176
- Chance, G.Q. 1948 Note on a Type of Flexion Fracture of the Spine Br. J. Radiol 21 452
- Cheng, R. Mital, N.K. Levine, R.S. King, A.I. 1979 Biodynamics of the Living Human Spine During -Gx Impact Acceleration Proc. 23rd Stapp Car Crash Conf. San Diego, California 723763 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA.
- Chesnut, C.H. 1988 Measurement of Bone Mass Triangle 27 37 45
- Committee on Trauma Research 1985 Injury in America A Continuing Public Health Problem National Academy Press Washington, D.C.
- Cossette, J.W. Farfan, H.F. Robertson, G.H. Wells, R.W. 1971 The Instantaneous Center of Rotation of the Third Lumbar Intervertebral Joint J. Biomechanics 4 149 153
- Crowninshead, R.D. Pope, M.H. 1976 The Strength and Failure Characteristics of Rat Medial Collateral Ligaments J. Trauma 16 2 99 105
- Dehner, J.R. 1971 Seatbelt Injuries of the Spine and Abdomen Radium Therapy and Nuclear Med. 4 833 843
- Denis, F. 1983 The Three Column Spine and Its Significance in the Classification of Acute Thoracolumbar Spinal Injuries Spine 8 817 831
- Einhorn, T. A 1988 Biomechanical Properties of Bone Triangle 27 27 36
- Farfan, H.F. 1973 Mechanical Disorders of the Low Back Philadelphia Lea & Febiger
- Fredrickson BE Mann KA Yuan HA Lubicky J P 1988 Reduction of the intracanal fragment in experimental burst fractures Spine 13 267 271
- Fredrickson BE Edwards WT Rauschning W Bayley JC Yuan HA 1992 Vertebral burst fractures: An experimental, morphologic and radiographic study Spine 17 1012 1021
- Galante, J.O. 1967 Tensile Properties of the Human Lumbar Annulus Fibrosus Acta Orthop. Scand. Suppl. 100 1 91
- Gertzbein, S.D. Court-Brown, C.M. 1988 Flexion-Distraction Injuries of the Lumbar Spine Clin. Orthop. Rel. Res. 227 52 60
- Goel, V.K. 1987 Three-Dimensional Motion Behaviour of the Human Spine - A Question of Terminology J. Biomech. Engn. 109 353 355
- Goel, V. K. Clark, C.R. McGowan, D. Goyal, S. 1984 An In Vitro Study of the Kinematics of the Normal, Injured and Stabilized Cervical Spine J. Biomechanics 17 363 376
- Goel, V.K. Goyal, S. Clark, C. Nishiyma, K. Nye, T. 1985 Kinematics of the Whole Lumbar Spine - Effect of Discectomy Spine 10 544 554
- Goel, V. K. Winterbottom, J. M. Weinstein, J.N. Kim, Y.E. 1987 Load Sharing Among Spinal Elements of a Motion Segment in Extension and Lateral Bending J. Biomed. Engn. 109 291 297
- Greenbaum, E. Harris, L. Halloran, W.X. 1970 Flexion Fracture of the Lumbar Spine Due to Lap-Type Seat Belts California and Western Medicine 3 74 76
- Hakim, N.S. King, A.I. 1977 Study of the Strain Distribution Over the Cortical Surface of Lumbar Vertebrae Proc. 23rd Int. Instrumentation Symp. Las Vegas, USA 1-5 May 145 153
- Hansson, T. Roos, B. Nachemson, A. 1980 The Bone Mineral Content and Ultimate Compressive Strength in Lumbar Vertebrae Spine 1 46 55
- Hansson, T.H. Keller, T. S. Spengler, D.M. 1987 Mechanical Behaviour of the Human Lumbar Spine. II. Fatigue Strength During Dynamic Compressive Loading J. Orthop. Res. 5 479 487
- Hayes, W.C. 1983 Biomechanics of Bone: Implications for Assessment of Bone Strength ASBMR Workshop Kelseyville 1 18
- Hill, J.R. Mackay, G.M. Morris, A.P. Smith, M.T. Little, S. 1992 Car Occupant Injury Patterns with Special Reference to Chest and Abdominal Injuries to Restrained Drivers in Frontal Impacts Proc. 1992 IRCOBI Conf. Verona, Italy 357 372
- Hukins, D.W.L. Kirby, M.C. Sigoryn, T.A. Aspden, R.M. Cox, A.J. 1990 Comparison of Structure, Mechanical Properties, and Function of Lumbar Spinal Ligaments Spine 15 787 795
- Janevic, J. Ashton-Miller, J.A. Schultz, A.B. 1989 Large Compressive Pre-Loads Decrease Lumbar Motion Segment Flexibility Int. Soc. Study Lumbar Spine Kyoto, Japan 15-19 May
- Keller T.S. Spengler, M.M. Hansson, T.H. 1987 Mechanical Behavior of the Human Lumbar Spine. I. Creep Analysis During Static Compressive Loading J. Orthop. Res. 5 467 478
- King, A. 1984 The Spine - Its Anatomy, Kinematics, Injury Mechanisms and Tolerance to Impact In: The Biomechanics of Impact Trauma Aldman, B. Chapon, A. 191 226 Elsevier Science Publishers Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Koeller, W. Meier, W. Hartmann, F. 1984 Biomechanical Properties of Human Intervertebral Discs Subjected to Axial Dynamic Compression. A Comparison of Lumbar and Thoracic Discs Spine 7 725 733
- Koogle, T.A. Piziali, R.L. 1977 A Six Degree of Freedom Motion Transducer for Use in the Intact In Vitro Human Lumbar Spine 23rd Orthopaedic Research society Meeting Las Vegas, USA
- Kulak, R.F. Belytschko, T.B. Schultz, A.B. Galante, J.O. 1976 Nan-Linear Behaviour of the Human Intervertebral Disc under Axial Load J. Biomechanics 9 377
- Lee, C. K. Landgrana, N. A. 1984 Lumbosacral Spinal Fusion - A Biomechanical Study Spine 9 574 581
- Lin, H. S. Liu, Y. K. Adams, K. H. 1978 Mechanical Response of the Lumbar Intervertebral Joint under Physiological (Complex) Loading J. Bone Joint Surg. 60-A 41 55
- Liu, Y.K. Njus, G. Buckwalter, J. Wakano, K. 1983 Fatigue Response of Lumbar Intervertebral Joints under Axial Cyclic Loading Spine 8 857 865
- Liu, Y.K. Ray, G. Hirsch, C. 1975 The Resistance of the Lumbar Spine to Direct Shear Orthop. Clin. N.A. 6 33 49
- Lundqvist C. 1990 Quality of Life and Neurological Impairment A study of Function, Mood and Quality of Life Perception in Patients with Spinal Cord Injuries and Spinal Arteriovenous Malfunctions University of Goteborg Sweden
- Markolf, K.L. Morris, J.M. 1970 The Structural Components of the Intervertebral Disc J. Bone Joint Surg. 56A 675
- Mertz, H. J. Patrick, L. M. 1971 Strength and Response of the Human Neck Proc. 15th Stapp Car Crash Conf. New York 107 255 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA.
- Messerer, O. 1880 Über
- Mickley, K. Nolte, L-P. Stumpf, H. Lange, H. Beerens, C. Kramer, J. 1990 An Experimental Test-Rig for the Biomechanical Analysis of Human Spine Segments RAM 6 43 49
- Miller, J.A.A. Schultz, A.B. Warwick, D.N. Spencer, D.L. 1986 Mechanical Properties of Lumbar Spine Motion Segments Under Large Loads J. Biomechanics 19 79 84
- Mitai, N.K. Cheng, R. Levine, R.S. King A.I. 1978 Dynamic Characteristics of the Human Spine During -Gx acceleration Proc. 22nd Stapp Car Crash Conf Ann Arbor, Michigan 139 165 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA.
- Nachemson, A. Schultz, A. Berkson, M. 1979 Mechanical Properties of Human Lumbar Spine Motion Segments. Influence of Age, Sex, Disc Level, and Degeneration Spine 4 1 8
- Nahum A. Lasky I. Noguchi T. 1968 Automobile Accident Injuries and Accident Pathology Proc Int. Conf. Brinkhous, K M. 14 25 U.S. Government Printing Press Washington, DC.
- Neumann P Osvalder A-L Nordwall A Lovsund P Hansson T 1992 The mechanism of initial flexion-distraction injury in the lumbar spine Spine 17 1083 1090
- Neumann P Keller T Ekstrom L Hult E Hansson T 1993 Structural properties of the anterior longitudinal ligament: Correlation with lumbar bone mineral content Spine 18 637 645
- Neumann P Osvalder A-L Nordwall A Lovsund P Hansson T 1993 The ultimate flexural strength of the lumbar spine and vertebral bone mineral content J Spinal Disord 6 314 323
- Neumann P Keller TS Ekstrom L Hansson T 1994 Effect of strain rate and bone mineral on the structural properties of the human anterior longitudinal ligament Spine 19 205 211
- Neumann P Nordwall A Osvalder A-L 1994 Traumatic instability of the lumbar spine. A dynamic in vitro study of flexion-distraction injury Spine
- Noyes, F.R. 1974 Functional Properties of Knee Ligaments and Alterations Induced by Immobilisation. A Correlated Biomechanical and Histological Study in Primates Clin. Orthop. Rel. Res. 123 210 242
- Osvalder A-L Neumann P Lovsund P Nordwall A 1990 Ultimate strength of the lumbar spine in flexion -An in vitro study J Biomech 23 453 460
- Osvalder A-L 1992 Static and Dynamic Load Response of the Lumbar Spine in Flexion Department of Injury Prevention, Chalmers University of Technology Goteborg, Sweden
- Osvalder A-L Neumann P Lovsund P Nordwall A 1993 A method for studying the biomechanical load response of the (in vitro) lumbar spine under dynamic flexion-shear loads J Biomech 26 1227 1236
- Panjabi, M.M. White, A.A. Southwick, W.O. 1973 Mechanical Properties of Bone as a Function of Rate of Deformation J. Bone Jt. Surg. 55A 322 330
- Panjabi, M.M. Summers, D.J. Pelker, R.R. Videman, T. Friedlaender, G.E. Southwick, W.O. 1975 Cervical Spine Mechanics as a Function of Transection of Components J. Biomechanics 8 327 336
- Panjabi, M. M. Brand, R. A. White, A. A. 1976 Three-Dimensional Flexibility and Stiffness Properties of the Human Thoracic Spine J. Biomechanics 9 185 192
- Panjabi, M.M. Krag, M.H. White A.A. III, Southwick, W.O. 1977 Effects of Pre-Load on Load Displacement Curves of the Lumbar Spine Orthop. Clin. N.A. 8 181 192
- Panjabi, M.M. Krag, M.H. Goel, V.K 1981 A Technique for Measurement and Description of Three-Dimensional Six Degree-of-Freedom Motion of a Body Joint with an Application to the Human Spine J. Biomechanics 14 447 460
- Panjabi, M. M. Goel, V. K. Takata, K. 1982 Physiologie Strains in the Lumbar Spinal Ligaments Spine 7 192 203
- Panjabi MM Oxland TR Lin RM McGowen TW 1994 Thoracolumbar burst fracture. A biomechanical investigation of its multidirectional flexibility Spine 19 578 585
- Pintar, F.A. Yoganandan, N. Sanees, A. Reinartz, J. Harris, G. Larson, S.J. 1989 Kinematic and Anatomical Analysis of Human Cervical Spinal Column under Axial Loading Proc. 33rd Stapp Car Crash Conf. 191 214 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA.
- Posner, I. White A. A. III, Edwards, W. T. Hayes, W. C. 1982 A Biomechanical Analysis of the Clinical Stability of the Lumbar and Lumbosacral Spine Spine 7 374 389
- Prasad, P. King, A.I. Ewing, C.L. 1974 The Role of Articular Facets During +Gz Acceleration J. Applied Mechanics 41 321 326
- Rolander, S.D. 1966 Motion of the Lumbar Spine with Special Reference to the Stabilizing Effect of Posterior Fusion Acta Orthop. Scand. , Suppl. 99
- Roos, B.O. 1975 Dual Photon Absorptiometry in Lumbar Vertebrae. II. Precision and Reproducibility. Acta Radiol. 3 291 303
- Roos, B.O. Skoldborn, H. 1974 Dual Photon Absorptiometry in Lumbar Vertebrae. I. Theory and Method Acta Radiol. 3 266 280
- Schultz, A.B. Warwick, D. N. Berkson, M. H. Nachemson, A. L. 1979 Mechanical Properties of Human Lumbar Spine Motion Segments - Part I: Responses in Flexion, Extension, Lateral Bending and Torsion J. Biomech. Engn. 101 46 52
- Sedlin, E.D. Hirsch, C. 1966 Factors Affecting the Determination of the Physical Properties of Femoral Cortical Bone Acta Orthop. Scand. Suppl. 37 29 48
- Seligman, J.V. Gertzbein, S.D. Tile, M. Kapasouri, A 1984 Computer Analysis of Spinal Segment Motion in Degenerative Disc Disease With and Without Axial Loading Spine 9 566 573
- Shono Y McAfee PC Cunningham BW 1994 Experimental study of thoracolumbar burst fractures. A radiographic and biomechanical analysis of anterior and posterior instrumentation systems Spine 19 1711 1722
- Smith, W.S. Kaufer, H. 1969 Patterns and Mechanisms of Lumbar Injuries Associated with Lap Seat Belts J. Bone Jt. Surgery 51A 239 254
- Steckler, R.M. Epstein, J. A. Epstein, B.S. 1969 Seat Belt Trauma to the Lumbar Spine: An Unusual Manifestation of the Seat Belt Syndrome J. Trauma 6 508 513
- Tkaczuk, H. 1968 Tensile Properties of Human Lumbar Longitudinal Ligaments Acta Orthop. Scand. Suppl. 115
- Urist, M.R. Gurvey, M.S. Fareed, D.O. 1970 Long Term Observations on Aged Women with Pathologic Osteoporosis Barzel, U.S. 3 37 Gume and Stratton New York
- Viano, D.C. Lau, I.V. 1988 A Viscous Tolerance Criterion for Soft Tissue Injury Assessment J. Biomechanics 21 387 399
- Vulcan, A. P. King; A.I. Prasad, P. 1970 Effects of Bending of the Vertebral Column During +Gz acceleration Aerospace Medicine 41 294 300
- White, A. A. Johnson, R. M. Panjabi, M. M. Southwick, W. O. 1975 Biomechanical Analysis of Clinical Stability on the Cervical Spine Clin. Orthop. 109 85 96
- White A.A. Panjabi, M.M. 1990 Clinical Biomechanics of the Spine 2nd J.B. Lippincott Company Philadelphia, PA.
- Willén, J. Lindahl, S. Irstam, L. Aldman, B. Nordwall, A. 1984 The Thoracolumbar Crush Fracture. In: Willén, J. Unstable Crush Fractures Dept. of Orthopaedic Surgery I and Diagnostic Radiology I, University of Goteborg, Sahlgren Hospital Goteborg, Sweden
- Woo, S.L.Y. Gomez, M.A. Akeson, W.H. 1981 The Time and the History Dependent Viscoelastic Properties of the Canine Medial Collateral Ligament. J. Biomech Engn. 103 293 298
- Woo S.L.Y. Orlando, C.A. Camp, J.F. Akeson, W.H. 1986 Effects of Post Mortem Storage by Freezing on Ligament Tensile Behaviour J. Biomechanics 19 399 404
- Yoganandan, N. Haffner, M. Maiman, D.J. Nichols, H. Pintar, F.A. Jentzen, J. Weinshel, S. Larson, S.J. Sanees, A. 1989 Epidemiology and Injury Biomechanics of Motor Vehicle Related Trauma to the Human Spine Proc. 33rd Stapp Car Crash Conf. 223 242 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA.
- Yoganandan, N. Pintar, F.A. Mycklebust, J.B. Sanees, A. 1989 Stiffness and Strain Energy Criteria to Evaluate the Threshold of Injury to an Intervertebral Joint J. Biomechanics 22 135 142
- Yoganandan, N. Sanees, A. Pintar, F. Maiman, D.J. Reinartz, J. Cusick, J.F. Larson, S.J. 1990 Injury Biomechanics of the Human Cervical Column Spine 15 1031 1039