This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Collision Parameters from Real-Life Car/Motor Cycle Accidents A Basis for Future Standards
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The collision type is an essential criterion for assessing an accident. The more frequently a certain impact configuration of motor cycle and car occurs, or the worse the consequences of the accident turn out to be for the motor-cyclist, the more important it is to consider whether it is possible to increase the safety of these critical points by passive safety elements.
In this paper the collision types are examined on the basis of 528 accidents between a motor cycle and a car, and 14 collisiontypes of them are presented which characterise the accident with regard to frequency and consequences. They are intended to serve as the basis for defining crash tests necessary for working out passive safety elements and which, in addition, provide a picture of the details of real-life accidents in Germany.
CitationSporner, A., Polauke, J., and van Driessche, H., "Collision Parameters from Real-Life Car/Motor Cycle Accidents A Basis for Future Standards," SAE Technical Paper 950203, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/950203.
- Severy, D.M. Brink, H.M. Blaisdell, D.M. “Motorcycle Collision Experiments” 14th STAPP Conference San Diego SAE 700897 1970
- Bothwell, P Hirsch, A.E. “Air Bag Crash Protection for Motorcycle Application” NHTSA-ASME-paper Washington 1973
- Chinn, B.,P. Hopes, P.,d. “Leg protection for riders of motor cyles” ESV Conference Oxford 1985
- Danner, M. Langwieder, K. Sporner, A. “Accidents of motorcyclists - Increase of safety by technical measures on the basis of knowledge derived from real-life accidents” ESV Conference Oxford 1985
- Tadokoro H. Fukuda, S. Miyazaki K. “A study of motor cycle leg protection” ESV Conference Oxford 1985
- Chinn, B.,P. Donne, G.,L. Hopes, P., D. “Motorcycle rider protection in frontal impacts” ESV Conference Oxford 1985
- Sporner, A. Langwieder, K. Polauke J. “Development of a safety concept for motorcycles - result of accident analysis and of crash tests” ESV Conference Washington 1987
- Happlan-Smith, J. Chinn, B.P. “Simulation of Airbag Restraint Systems in Forward Impacts of Motorcycles” Int. Congress and Exposition Detroit SAE 9000752 1990
- Rogers, N.,M. “Further crash tests of motor cycle leg protectors as proposed in the UK draft specification” 13th ESV Conference Paris 1991
- International Motorcycle Manufacturers Association “leg protectors: do they work?” Proceedings of the International Seminar on Leg Protectors Chantilly Nov. 1991
- Nieboer, J.J. Wismans, A.,C. et al “Motor cycle crash test modelling” 37th Stapp Car Crash Conference 1993
- Sporner, A. Langwieder, K. Polauke J. “Risk of leg injuries to motorcyclists” ESV Conference Göteborg 1989
- “Motor cycles - Test and analysis procedures for reseach evaluation of rider crash protective devices fitted to motor cycles” first