This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Natural Gas Engines for Hybrid Vehicle Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Tecogen Division, Thermo Power Corporation, has vast experience using automotive derivative natural gas and propane engines in both stationary and vehicular applications. These lower cost engines have been modified internally to take advantage of these higher octane fuels and to demonstrate equivalent durability and reliability when compared to industrial grade engines which cost significantly more. This paper will show some of Tecogen's experience in using these engines, including their use in hybrid vehicles as a range extender. We will also discuss how the waste heat off the engines can be used efficiently for heating and air conditioning of hybrid vehicles. Emphasis will be on the engine as part of an effective hybrid vehicle system.
|Technical Paper||Future Light-Duty Vehicles: Predicting their Fuel Consumption and Carbon-Reduction Potential|
|Technical Paper||The Future of the Internal Combustion Engine After “Diesel-Gate”|
CitationMastronardi, R. and Doyle, E., "Natural Gas Engines for Hybrid Vehicle Systems," SAE Technical Paper 941812, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/941812.
- Shuldiner, H. Down the Road, The Patriot Ledger November 18 1993 Quincy, MA
- Mackay, R. Gas Turbine Generator Sets for Hybrid Vehicles SAE Paper 920441 February 1992
- Fukino, M. Irie, N. Ito, H. Development of an Electric Concept Vehicle with a Super Quick Charging System SAE Paper 920442 February 1992
- Birch, S. Yamaguchi, J. Demmier, A. Jost, K. Global Viewpoints, Automotive Engineering November 1993
- Force Electric/Solar-Assisted Vehicles Data Sheet Solectria
- Faust, K. Goubeau, A. Scheuerer, K. Introduction to the BMW - E1 SAE Paper 920443 February 1992
- Reuyl, J. XA-100 Hybrid Electric Vehicle SAE Paper 920440 February 1992
- Keller, A. Whitehead, G. Performance Testing of the Extended-Range (Hybrid) Electric G-Van SAE Paper 920439 February 1992
- Gilbert, A. Rehn, R. Electric Drivetrain for Hybrid Electric Bus SAE Paper 920446
- Research and Development of a Fuel Cell/Battery Powered Bus System, Phase I Final Technical Report, Booz, Allen & Hamilton Report No. DOE/CH/10650-01 February 1990
- Burke, A.F. Hybrid/Electric Vehicle Design Options and Evaluations SAE Paper 920447 February 1992
- Burke, A.F. On-Off Engine Operation for Hybrid/Electric Vehicles SAE Paper 930042 March 1993
- Gelman, D. Perrot, T. Advanced Heat Engines for Range Extender Hybrid Vehicles SAE Paper 930041 March 1993