This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Analysis of Fuel Droplets Ignition and Combustion within Homogeneous Mixtures of Fuel and Air
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1994 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper describes an analytical approach that models the vaporization, ignition and combustion of liquid fuel droplets in a heated environment of homogeneously mixed gaseous fuel and air at constant pressure such as taking place in dual fuel engines of the compression ignition type. Results are presented typically for the ignition and combustion of n-heptane droplets initially introduced cold into a heated homogeneous surrounding of methane-air mixtures. Variations in various parameters in space and time, such as temperature, the concentrations of the two fuels, oxygen, and products of combustion, rates of energy release, etc. are presented and discussed.
CitationSamuel, P. and Karim, G., "An Analysis of Fuel Droplets Ignition and Combustion within Homogeneous Mixtures of Fuel and Air," SAE Technical Paper 940901, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940901.
- Karim, G. A. “The Dual Fuel Engine” Automotive Engine Alternatives Evans Robert L. Plenum Press New York London 83 104 1987
- Lefebvre, A. Atomization and Sprays Hemisphere Publishing Corporation 1989
- Faeth, G. M. “Current Status of Droplet and Liquid Combustion,” Progress in Energy Combustion Science 3 191 1977
- Karim, G. A. Wierzba, I. Metwally, M. Mohan, K. “The Combustion of a Fuel Jet in a Stream of Lean Gaseous Fuel-Air Mixtures,” 18th Symposium (International) on Combustion The Combustion Institute Waterloo, Ontario 977 991 1981
- Karim, G. A. Kibrya, M. G. Lapucha, R. Wierzba, I. “Examination of the Combustion of a Fuel Jet in a Homogeneously Pre-Mixed Lean Fuel-Air Stream “Proceedings of the International Fuels and Lubricants Meeting and Exposition of the SAE, SAE Paper No. 881662 1 Portland, Oregon October 1988
- Kibrya, M. G. “An Experimental and Analytical Examination of Jet Diffusion Flames in Non-quiescent Environments of Fuel and Air,” The University of Calgary Calgary, Canada 1987
- Samuel, P. Karim, G. A. “A Numerical Study of the Unsteady Effects of Droplet Evaporation and Ignition in Homogeneous Environments of Fuel and Air,” Proceedings of the 16th Annual Energy-Sources Technology Conference and Exhibition 50 147 155 Houston, Texas 1993
- Samuel, P. “Computational and Experimental Investigation of the Ignition and Combustion of Hydrocarbon Fuels in Homogeneous Environments of Fuel and Air,” Department of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Calgary Calgary, Alberta 1994
- Rah, S. C. Sarofim, A. F. Beer, J. M. “Ignition and Combustion of Liquid Fuel Droplets Part II: Ignition Studies,” Combustion Science and Technology 49 169 1986
- Gear, C. W. Numerical Initial Value Problems in Ordinary Differential Equations Prentice Hall Englewood Cliffs, N.J. 1971
- Sincovec, R. F. Madsen, N. K. “Software for Non-linear Partial Differential Equations,” ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software 1 232 1975