This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Advanced Braking and Stability Controller for Tow-Vehicle and Trailer Combinations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents an optimal control strategy for assigning wheel slips on all of the wheels of a tractor/trailer combination. Most ABS controllers work on a wheel by wheel or an axle by axle basis without consideration for overall system stability. This controller is based on a linear program (LP) and assigns wheel slips for each wheel in accordance with one of the following criteria: 1) During an emergency braking maneuver, optimal wheel slips are determined which maximize stopping while constraining the system to be stable, or 2) During a nonemergency braking maneuver, the controller is used to maximize stability while maintaining an achievable (commanded) deceleration.
Computer simulations, which modeled a full tanker truck, were run to compare the response of the proposed controller with two controllers which incorporated select-low control and individual control ABS systems on various axles. Emergency braking responses in the following maneuvers were compared: constant turn, straight line split mu surface, and constant turn on a split mu surface. The LP controller showed itself to be a superior controller, especially in the last simulation where it was the only controller able to maintain tractor/trailer stability.
Due to the control system complexity and extensive sensor requirements, implementation of the proposed controller would currently be practical only on specialized vehicles. But the simulation results presented here seem to justify the expense.
CitationElwell, M. and Kimbrough, S., "An Advanced Braking and Stability Controller for Tow-Vehicle and Trailer Combinations," SAE Technical Paper 931878, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/931878.
SAE 1993 Transactions: Journal of Commercial Vehicles
Number: V102-2 ; Published: 1994-09-01
Number: V102-2 ; Published: 1994-09-01
- Radlinski, R. and Flick, M., “Benefits of Front Brakes on Heavy Trucks”, SAE Paper 870493
- Gohring, E., von Glasner, E. C. and Bremer, C. “The Impact of Different ABS-Philosophies on the Directional Behavior of Commercial Vehicles”, SAE Paper 892500
- Dantzig, G. B., Linear Programming and Extensions, Princeton University Press, 1963
- Kimbrough, S., “Stability Enhancement and Traction Control of Road Vehicles”, Int. J. Systems Science, 1990, Vol 21, No. 6, 1105-1109
- Kimbrough, S., “A Brake Control Strategy for Emergency Stops that Involve Steering Part 1: Theory”, Proceedings of the 2nd Symposium on Transportation Systems, 1990 ASME WAM
- Kimbrough, S., “A Brake Control Strategy for Emergency Stops that Involve Steering Part 2: Implementation Issues and Simulation Results”, Proceedings of the 2nd Symposium on Transportation Systems, 1990 ASME WAM
- Kimbrough, S. and Chiu, C., “A Brake Control Algorithm for Emergency Stops (Which May Involve Steering) of Tow-Vehicle/Trailer Combinations”, Proceedings of 1991 American Control Conference, pp. 409-414
- Ellis, J. R., Vehicle Dynamics, London Business Ltd., 1969
- Bakker, E., Nyborg, L., and Pacejka, H., “Tyre Modelling for Use in Vehicle Dynamics Studies,” SAE Paper 870421
- Zanten, A., Ruf, W. D. and Lutz, A., “Measurement and Simulation of Transient Tire Forces”, SAE paper 890640
- Zanten, A., Erhardt, R. and Lutz, A., “Measurement and Simulation of Transients in Longitudinal and Lateral Tire Forces”, SAE paper 900210
- Loeb, J., Guenther, D., Chen, H. and Ellis, J.R., “Lateral Stiffness, Cornering Stiffness and Relaxation Length of the Pneumatic Tire”, SAE Paper 900129
- Heydinger, G., Garrott, W. and Chrstos, J., “The Importance of Tire Lag on Simulated Transient Vehicle Response”, SAE Paper 910235
- Kalman, R.E and Bertram, J.E., “Control System Design via the Second Method of Lyapuov, Part 1: Continuous Systems”, Journal of Basic Engineering, Vol. 82, 1960
- Kimbrough, S., “NonLinear Regulators for a Class Of Decomposable Systems”, ASME J. of DSMC, 1987
- Kimbrough, S., “A Technical Study Report on the Application of an Advanced Brake Controller on a Tanker Truck”, VSE Corporation, 1993
- Kimbrough, S. and Van Moorhem, W., “Stability Enhancement of Trailers via Selective Actuation of Brakes,” ASME 1992 WAM, Transportation Systems, DSC Vol. 44
- Kimbrough, S., Elwell, M. and Chiu, C., “Braking Controllers and Steering Controllers for Combination Vehicles”, VSE Corporation, 1993
- Kimbrough, S. and Elwell, M., “Sudden Heading Error as a Feedback Variable for Stability Enhancement Systems”, ASME 1992 WAM, Transportation Systems, DSC Vol. 44
- Elwell, M. and Kimbrough, S., “A Technical Study Report on the Application of an Advanced Steering Controller on a Tanker Truck”, 1993
- Kimbrough, S., and Chiu, C., (1990), “Control Strategies for Trailers Equipped with Steering Systems,” ASME 1990 WAM, AMD Vol. 108
- Limpert, R. and Andrews, D., “Analysis of Truck Braking Accidents”, SAE Paper 870504
- Ehlbeck, J., Moore, T. and Young, W., “Antilock Brake Systems for the North America Truck Market”, SAE Paper 901174
- Bakker, E., Nyborg, L. and Pacejka, H., “Tyre Modelling for Use in Vehicle Dynamics Studies”, SAE Paper 870421
- Bakker, E., Pacejka, H. and Lidner, L., “A New Tire Model with an Application in Vehicle Dynamics Studies”, SAE Paper 890087
- Jindra, F., “Tractor and Semi-Trailer Handling”, Automobile Engineer, Oct. 1963
- Bundorf, R.T., “Directional Control Dynamics of Automobile-Travel Trailer Combinations,” SAE Transactions, vol. 76, pp. 667-680, 1967
- El-Gindy M., “The Use of Heavy Vehicle Performance Measures for Design and Regulation,” ASME 1992 WAM, Transportation Systems, DSC Vol. 44