This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigating Impulsive Sounds - Beyond “Zwicker-Loudness”
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The common occurrence of impulsive sounds in automobiles and the recent emphasis on producing vehicles with a “quality sound” has increased the need for a method for measuring the pitch of impulsive sounds. Using Zwicker’s Loudness Patterns as a basis, a data reduction method was developed which summarizes the frequency content of each pattern. The method yields time varying quantities called Percentile Partial Loudness Frequencies from a time series of Loudness Patterns. Several “simple” impulsive sounds, representing a range of pitches, were investigated using this method. Visual inspection of the results has identified trends which seem to rank the impulsive sounds in agreement with subjective pitch rankings of a listening jury. In addition, the method appears to be capable of ranking the early portion of the impulse as a sharp or dull attack. Further investigations are needed to confirm these observations and refine the technique.
|Technical Paper||Investigating Calculated Loudness ISO 532 for Evaluating Impulsive Sounds|
|Technical Paper||Percentile Frequency Method for Evaluating Impulsive Sounds|
|Technical Paper||An Evaluation of Service and Repair Manual Design|
CitationFridrich, R., "Investigating Impulsive Sounds - Beyond “Zwicker-Loudness”," SAE Technical Paper 931329, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/931329.
- Stertz, B.A. Our Cars are Alive with the Sound of (Irksome) Music Wall Street Journal Sept 12 1991
- ISO 532-1975 (E) Method of Calculating Loudness Level (Method B)
- Kelley, E.S. Musical Instruments Oliver Ditson Co. 1925
- Kennan, K.W. The Technique of Orchestration Prentice-Hall, Inc 1970 1952
- Palmer, K. Teach Yourself Orchestration The English Universities Press LTD. 1964
- Apel W. Daniel, R. The Harvard Brief Dictionary of Music Washington Square Press 1961
- Zwicker E. Fastl, H. Psychoacoustics, Facts and Models Springer Verlag 1990
- Fridrich, R.J. Investigating Calculated Loudness ISO 532 for Evaluating Impulsive Sounds SAE Paper 911088 1991