This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Computational Analysis of Flow Around a Simplified Vehicle-Like Body
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1993 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The flow around a simplified vehicle-like body was computed. The aerodynamic characteristics of this body depended on the afterbody geometry, especially the rear slant angle. In order to examine reliability of computation, the computations were performed for various rear slant angles. Regarding the computational method, two kinds of methods were applied: a Navier-Stokes solver that employs a k- ε turbulence model and a quasi-direct simulation with a third-order upwind difference scheme.
Comparing the results with a wind tunnel test data of the flow fields and aerodynamic forces, it was found that, the k- ε model had potential for prediction of flow field and the quasi-direct simulation for prediction of aerodynamic forces.
CitationYamada, A. and Ito, S., "Computational Analysis of Flow Around a Simplified Vehicle-Like Body," SAE Technical Paper 930293, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930293.
- Shaw, C.T. Simcox, S. The Numerical Prediction of the Flow around a Simplified Vehicle Geometry Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Supercomputing Applications in the Automotive Industry 1988 219 A Cray Research,Inc. book
- Hutchings, B.J. Pien, W. Computation of Three-Dimensional Vehicle Aerodynamics Using FLUENT/BFC Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Supercomputing Applications in the Automotive Industry 1988 233 A Cray Research,Inc. book
- Kuriyama, T. Numerical Simulation on Three-Dimensional Aerodynamics Using “SCRYU” Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Supercomputing Applications in the Automotive Industry 1988 273 A Cray Research,Inc. book
- Han, T. Computational Analysis of Three-Dimensional Turbulent Flow around a Bluff Body in Ground Proximity AIAA Journal 27 9 1989 1213
- Hashiguchi, M. et al. Computational Study of the Wake Structure of a Simplified Ground-Vehicle Shape with Base Slant SAE Paper 890597 1989
- Himeno, R. et al. Numerical Analysis of the Airflow around Automobiles Using Multi-Block Structured Grids SAE Paper 900319 1990
- Kataoka, T. et al. Numerical Simulation of Road Vehicle Aerodynamics and Effect of Aerodynamic Devices SAE Paper 910597 1991
- Kobayashi, T. Kitoh, K. A Review of CFD Methods and Their Application to Automobile Aerodynamics SAE Paper 920338 1992
- Ahmed, S.R. et al. Some Salient Features of the Time-Averaged Ground Vehicle Wake SAE Paper 840300 1984
- Kawamura, T. Kuwahara, K. Computation of High Reynolds Number Flow around a Circular Cylinder with Surface Roughness AIAA Paper 84-0340 1984
- Maeda, K. et al. Analysis of Air Flow Behavior around a Vehicle to Improve Vehicle Aerodynamics JSAE Review 11 1 1990 18