This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Simulation of Road Vehicle Aerodynamics and Effect of Aerodynamic Devices
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1991 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Computational analysis of a flow field around a complex geometry such as a vehicle configuration becomes more reliable with the use of the most current numerical method. And the flow field around a vehicle with tires and wheel houses is simulated with accuracy.
Recent market trends necessitate the use of aerodynamic devices to improve aerodynamic characteristics of a road vehicle. However, due to their complex shape, few computational studies of these devices have been performed.
In this paper, a computational analysis system for vehicle aerodynamics is established and it's reliability is discussed. As the effective application of the system, the contribution of movable aerodynamic devices is studied using the system. And the comparison of wind tunnel test results with computational results is desirable.
|Technical Paper||Computational Analysis of Flow Around a Simplified Vehicle-Like Body|
|Technical Paper||Numerical Investigations on the Front Fender of a Motorcycle|
CitationKataoka, T., China, H., Nakagawa, K., Yanagimoto, K. et al., "Numerical Simulation of Road Vehicle Aerodynamics and Effect of Aerodynamic Devices," SAE Technical Paper 910597, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/910597.
- Kawamura T. Kuwahara K. Computation of High Reynolds Number Flow around a Circular Cylinder with Surface Roughness AIAA-84-0340 1984
- Tsuboi K. Shirayama S. Oana M. Kuwahara K. Computational Study of the Effect of Base Slant 2nd International Conference on Supercomputing in the Automotive Industry Seville Spain 1988
- Sawada K. Takanashi S. A Numerical Investigation on Wing/Nacelle Interfaces of USB Configuration AIAA-87-0455 1987
- Shirayama S. Kuwahara K. Navier Stokes Solution of the Flow Field around a Complete Automobile Configuration 2nd International Conference on Supercomputing in the Automotive Industry Seville Spain 1988
- Shirayama S. Kuwahara K. Several finite difference approaches for computation of a flow field with complex geometric boundary, Swansea Pineridge Press 433 443
- Himeno R. Takagi M. Fujitani K. Tanaka H. Numerical Analysis of the Airflow around Automobiles Using Multi-block Structured Grids SAE paper No. 900319 1990
- Eriksson L.E. Generation of Boundary Conforming Grids Around Wing-Body Configurations Using Transfinite Interpolation AIAA JOURNAL 20 10 1982 1313 1320
- Thompson J.F. Numerical Grid Generation 1982 Elsevier Science Publishing Co.,Inc.