This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a F.E.M. of the Human Head According to a Specific Test Protocol
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Stapp Car Crash Conference
Finite Element Models of the head are more and more often used to analyse brain injury risk during car crashes. Nevertheless, if the properties of head components such as brain, cerebral spinal fluid and membranes can be evaluated, the behaviour of the head has not yet been sufficiently validated as a whole.
This paper deals with the development process of the model and the biomechanical data specifically generated for this purpose. Cadavers were re-pressurized and fully instrumented in order to measure 3D head dynamic, CSF pressure in various points of the subarachnoϊd space or in ventricles and intracerebral accelerations. For this last, a specific protocol has been developed; accelerometers have been designed to implant them at the right places.
Tests were performed in various impact situations involving thorax and head segments with or without paddings. Results are proposed and a parametric study is made in the range of known data for head components in an attempt to validate the F.E.M.
CitationTrosseille, X., Tarriére, C., Lavaste, F., Guillon, F. et al., "Development of a F.E.M. of the Human Head According to a Specific Test Protocol," SAE Technical Paper 922527, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/922527.
- “Head Impact Response - Skull Dèformation and Angular Accelerations” Nusholtz G.S. Lux P. Kaiker P. Janicki M.A. Proceedings of 1984, Stapp Car Crash Conference
- “The Measurement of 3-D Rigid Body Motion” Alem N.M. Proceedings of the 2nd Annual International Meeting of the Ad Hoc Commitee on Human Subjects for Biomechanical Research
- “Measurement of Angular Acceleration of a Rigid Body Using Linear Accelerometers” Padgaonkar A.J. Krieger K.W. King A.I. ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics 42 September 1975 552 556
- “Measurement of Head Dynamics and Facial Contact Forces in the Hybrid III Dummy” Viano D.C. Melvin J.W. et al. Proceedings of the 30th Stapp Car Crash Conference 1986 SAE 861891
- Uni-axial Neutral Density Cranial Accelerometer Design” Hardy W.N. Jepsen K.J. Filipowicz C.M. King A.I. Proceedings of the 15th Annual International Workshop on Human Subjects in Biomechanical Research New Orleans, LA November 9 1987
- “Rheological Response of Human Brain Tissue in Shear” Shuck L.Z. Advani S. H. ASME 1972
- “Co-Planar Stereotaxic Atlas of the Human Brain: 3-Dimensional Proportional System: An Approach to Cerebral Imaging” Talairach J. Tournoux P. Theme Médical Publisher S, Inc. New-York 0 - 86577 - 293 - 2
- “Intracranial Pressure Dynamics During Head Impact” Nahum A.M. Smith R. Ward C.C. Proceedings of 21st Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE Paper nº 770922 1977
- “Finite Element Analysis of Traumatic Subdural Hematoma” Lee M.C. Melvin J.W. Ueno K. Proceedings of 31st Stapp Car Crash Conference Warrendale Paper nº 872201 67 77 1987
- “Toward a Biomechanical Criterion for Functional Brain Injury” Lighthall J.W. Melvin J.W. Ueno K. Proceedings of the 12th Experimental Safety Vehicles Conference 1989
- “Finite Element Models of the Head and Their Use in Brain Injury Research” Ward C. Proceedings of the 26th Stapp Car Crash Conference 1982
- “Methodological Aspects of an Experimental Research on Cerebral Tolerance on the Basis of Boxer's Training Fights” Chamouard F. Trosseille X. Pincemaille Y. Tarrière C. Proceedings of the 31st Stapp Car Crash Conference 1987
- “Some New Data Related to Human Tolerance Obtained from Volunteer Boxers” Pincemaille Y. Trosseille X. Proceedings of the 33rd Stapp Car Crash Conference Washington, D.C. October 4-6 1989
- “Event Related Potential Assessment of Attention and the Orienting Reaction in Boxers Before and After a Fight” Breton F. Renault B. Pincemaille Y. Tarrière C. Biological Psychology 31 1990 57 71
- “Physical Model Simulations of Brain Injury in the Primate” Margulies S.S. Thibault L.E. Gennarelli T.A. Journal of Biomechanics 23 8 823 836 1990
- “Intracranial Pressure - A Brain Injury Criterion” Ward C.C. Chan M. Nahum A.M. Proceedings of 24th Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE Paper nº 801304 1980
- “Physical Model Studies of Cortical Brain Deformation in Response to High Strain Rate Inertial Loading” Meaney D.F. Thibault L.E. IRCOBI 1990
- “Dynamic Properties of the Parasagittal Bridging Veins” Lowenhielm Rechtsmedizin Z. 74 55 62 1974
- “Insensitivity of Tensile Failure Properties of Human Bridging Veins to Strain Rate: Implications in Biomechanics of Acute Subdural Hematoma” Lee M. Haut R.