This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Validation of a 3D Anatomic Human Head Model and Replication of Head Impact in Motorcycle Accident by Finite Element Modeling
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 12, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The aim of this work is to validate a new 3D anatomic human head model by simulating a direct head impact of a Nahum's experiment and then to replicate the head impact caused by a motorcycle accident. At the validation level, model responses were compared with the measured cadaver test data in terms of impact force, head acceleration and five epidural pressures. Model response duplicate closely Nahum's experimental head response. After this validation, a numerical replication of a real head impact in motorcycle accident was realized. This simulation was based on the experimental accident reconstruction executed by the Transport Research Laboratory (UK). The results of this simulation were compared to the medical observations for the injured motorcyclist considered in this study. In this motorcycle accident replication, a good correlation was found between numerical head response, in terms of intracranial stress, and observed brain injuries in autopsy.
CitationKang, H., Willinger, R., Diaw, B., and Chinn, B., "Validation of a 3D Anatomic Human Head Model and Replication of Head Impact in Motorcycle Accident by Finite Element Modeling," SAE Technical Paper 973339, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/973339.
- Turquier F. Kang HS. Trosseille X. et al. Evaluation study of a 3D human head model against experimental data Proc. 40th Stapp Car Crash Conf. 339 366 1996
- Kang HS. Willinger R. Diaw B. Dynamic intracranial pressure during head impact 49 o 5 237 239 1996
- Dimasi F. Marcus J. Eppinger R. Three dimensional anatomic brain model for relating cortical strains to automobile crash loading Proc 12th Intern. Tech. Conf. on Exp. Safety Vehicle 617 627 PARIS 1991
- Mendis K. Finite element modeling of the brain to establish diffuse axonal injury criteria Ohio State University 1992
- Ruan J. S. Khalil T. King A. I. Finite element modeling of direct head impact Proc. 37th Stapp Car Crash Conf. 69 81 1993
- Zhou Chun Khalil T. B. King A. I. A 3D human finite element head model for impact injury analyses Symposium Proc. Prevention Through Biomechanics 137 148 1995
- Zhou Chun Khalil T. B. King A. I. Dragovic L. J. Head injury assessment of a real world crash by finite element modeling AGARD 1996
- Nahum A. M. Smith R. Ward C. C. Intracranial pressure dynamics during head impact Proc. 21th Stapp Car Crash Conf. 339 366 1977
- Ferner H. Staubesand J. Atlas d'anatomie humainetête, cou, membre thoracique Médicales internationales Paris 1985
- Shuck L. Z. Advani S. H. Rheological response of human brain tissue in shearing JBE 1972
- Willinger R. Taleb L. Pradoura P. Head biomechanics from the finite element model to the physical model Proc. IRCOBI 245 260 BRUNNEN 1995
- Diaw B. Willinger R. Kang HS. Finite element modeling of bone material discontinuty in case of skull fracture IRCOBI HANNOVER 1997
- Ruan, J. S. Khalil T. King A. I. Human head dynamic response to side impact by finite element modeling JBE 113 276 283 1991
- RADIOSS User's Manual Version 3.1 MECALOG 1996
- Ward C. C. Chan M. Nahum A. M. Intracranial pressure-A brain injury criterion Proc. 24th Stapp Car Crash Conf. SAE paper N o 801304 1980
- Ueno K. Melvin J. W. Li L. Lighthall J. W. development of tissue level brain injury criteria by finite element analysis Traumatic brain injury Bandak F. A. Eppinger R. H. Ommaya A. K. Mary Anne Liebert, Inc. Publisher 155 166 1996