This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Clean Fuels (Reformulated Gasolines, M85, and CNG) on Automotive Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
With the aim of improving the air quality in large cities, the California Air Resources Board (CARB) has stipulated that non-methane organic gas (NMOG) composed of carbon numbers from C1 to C12 must be reduced for vehicle categories designated as Transitional Low Emission Vehicles (TLEVs), Low Emission Vehicles (LEVs), Ultra low Emission Vehicles (ULEVs), and Zero Emission Vehicles (ZEVs). Although considerable research work has been done on this issue to date, the entire picture is still not clear. Studies done by the authors have been aimed at providing a better understanding of the potential for reducing automotive tailpipe emissions by using several clean fuel candidates.
The major questions of concern are the extent to which emissions of certain species can actually be reduced and what fuel can provide the best performance under a reduced NMOG condition. The technological assessment includes different ways of investigating mass emissions, groupings of hydrocarbons each having a general formula and particular species cited as being toxic air pollutants. In addition, an examination is also made of the possibility of reducing automotive carbon dioxide emissions simultaneously, which is required from the standpoint of global environmental protection.
The possibility of meeting emission requirements through near-future developments is beyond the scope of this discussion.
CitationHamai, K., Mitsumoto, H., Iwakiri, Y., Ishihara, K. et al., "Effects of Clean Fuels (Reformulated Gasolines, M85, and CNG) on Automotive Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 922380, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/922380.
Data Sets - Support Documents
SAE 1992 Transactions: Journal of Fuels & Lubricants
Number: V101-4; Published: 1993-09-01
Number: V101-4; Published: 1993-09-01
- Carter W.P.L. “Development of Ozone Reactivity Scales for Volatile Organic Compounds” Statewide Air Pollution Research Center Riverside CA, U.S. April 1990
- “Proposed Reactivity Adjustment Factors for Transitional Low-Emission Vehicles: Technical Support Document” Mobil Source Division, Research Division, California Air Resources Board September 27 1991
- Burns V.R. Benson J.D. Hochhauser A.M. Koehi W.J. Kreucher W.M. Reuter R.M. “Description of Auto /Oil Air Quality Improvement Research Program” SAE F&L,No. 912320 Oct. 1991
- Koehl W.J. Benson J. D. Burns V. Gorse R.A. Hochhauser A.M. Reuter R.M. “Effects of Gasoline Composition and Properties on Vehicle Emissions: A Review of Prior Studies - Auto / Oil Air Quality Improvement Research Program” SAE F&L,No. 912321 Oct. 1991
- Hochhauser A.M. Painter L.J. Benson J.D. Rippon B.H. Burns V. Reuter R.M. Gorse R.A. Rutherford J.A. Koehi W.J. “The Effect of Aromatics, MTBE, Olefins and T90 on Mass Exhaust Emissions from Current and Older Vehicles - The Auto / Oil Air Quality Improvement Research Program” SAE F&L, No. 912322 Oct. 1991
- Benson J.D. Hochhauser A.M. Burns V. KeoN W.J. Gorse R.A. Painter L.J. Reuter R.M. “Effects of Gasoline Sulfur Level on Mass Exhaust Emissions - Auto / Oil Air Quality Improvement Research Program” SAE F&L, No. 912323 Oct. 1991
- Yakushiji K. Iwakiri Y. Itoh M. Akutsu Y. “Current Situation of Measurement for Chemical Species of Exhaust Gas” Journal of JSAE 45 11 1991 28
- Kojima K. Hirota J. Yakushiji K. Iwakiri Y. KOota Akutsu Y. “Effect of Reformulated Gasoline and Methanol on Exhaust Emissions” SAE F&L, No. 912431 Oct. 1991
- Egeback K.E. Westerholm R. “Regulated and Unregulated Pollutants from Vehicles Fueled with Alcohols” The 8th International Symposium on Alcohol Fuels 1989
- Gottberg I. Rydquist J.E. Backlund O. Wallman S. Maus W. Bruck R. Swars H. “New Potential Exhaust Gas Aftertreatment Technologies for “Clean Car” Legislation” SAE, No. 910840 1991
- Hellman K.H. Pitowski G.K. Schaefer R.M. “Evaluation of Different Resistively Heated Catalyst Technologies” SAE F&L, No. 912382 Oct. 1991
- Hurley R.G. Guttridge D.H. Flansen L.A. Pawlowicz R.J. Smolinski J.M. Gandhi H.S. “Experiences with Electrically Heated Catalysts” SAE F&L, No. 912384 Oct. 1991
- Kubsh J.E. Lissiuk P.W. “Vehicle Emission Performance with an Electrically Heated Converter System” SAE F&L, No. 912385 Oct. 1991
- Yakabe H. Tai H. Matsuura M. “Air-to-Fuel Ratio Control of Gas Engine Using Response Characteristics of Three-Way Chatalysts under Dynamic Operation” SAE F&L, No. 912362 Oct. 1991
- Meyer R.C. Cole J.J. Kienzle Ed Wells A.D. “Development of A CNG Engine” SAE, No. 910881 1991
- Mitsumoto H. Ohta T. Hamai K. “Improvement of Cold Startability Running on M85 Spark Ignition Engine” SAE, No. 920293 Feb. 1992
- Nishide H. Yata T. Hirota T. Fujiwara H. Nakagawa Y. Ohta T. “Performance and Exhaust Emissions of Nissan FFV NX Coupe” SAE, No. 920299 Feb. 1992
- Newkirk M.S. Smith L.R. Ahuja M. Albu S. Santoro S. Leonard J. “Formaldehyde Emission Control Technology for Methanol-Fueled Vehicles: Catalyst Selection” SAE,No. 920092 Feb. 1992
- Clossey T.J. DeJovine J.M. McHugh K.J. Paulsen D.A. Rapp L.A. Segal J.S. Sullivan B.K. Townsend D.J. “The EC-X Test Program - Reformulated Gasoline for Lower Vehicle Emissions” SAE, No. 920798 Feb. 1992
- Hochhauser A.. M. Gorse, R.A. Jr. Reuter R.M. Benson J.D. Koehl W.J. Rutherford J.A. Burns V.R. Painter L.J. “Speciation and Calculated Reactivity of Automotive Exhaust Emissions and Their Relation to Fuel Properties - Auto / Oil Air Quality Improvement Research Program” SAE No. 920325 Feb. 1992
- Reuter R.M. Gorse, R.A. Jr. Painter L.J. Benson J.D. Hochhauser A.M. Rippon B.H. Burns V.R. Koehl W.J. Rutherford J.A. “Effects of Oxygenated Fuels and RVP on Automotive Emissions - Auto / Oil Air Quality Improvement Program SAE No. 920326 Feb. 1992
- Gorse, R.A. Jr. Koehl W.J. Benson J.D. Painter L.J. Burns V.R. Reuter R.M. Hochhauser A.M. Rippon B. H. Rutherford J.A. “The Effects of Methanol / Gasoline Blends on Automobile Emission” SAE No. 920327 Feb. 1992
- Leppard W.R. Gorse, R.A. Jr. Rapp L.A. Knepper J.C. Burns V.R. Koehl W.J. “Effects of Gasoline Composition on Vehicle Engine-Out and Tailpipe Hydrocarbon Emissions - The Auto / Oil Air Quality Improvement Research Program” SAE No. 920329 Feb. 1992