This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Solution for Cylinder Wall Scuffing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A solution for cylinder wall scuffing is researched. By means of the finite element method, a mathematical model to investigate the temperature field and thermal deformation of the piston is established, which can be used for predicting the cylinder wall scuffing in both the design process of a new diesel engine and the improvement process of the combustion system of an operating diesel engine. The experimental data support the calculated results obtained by using the model. As an application example, the temperature fields and thermal deformations of the piston in the 6E150C diesel engine, which suffers from the cylinder wall scuffing during the period of operation, are analyzed quantitatively by using the mathematical model. After an improved piston with new structure and good cooling system is used in the 6E150C diesel engine, the cylinder wall scuffing no longer occurs. From inspection of the investigation results, it is found that the main factors, which result in the cylinder wall scuffing, are the overhigh temperature of the top compression ring groove of piston and the overextended thermal deformation of piston, and it is believed that the thermal deformation analysis of piston is more important, compared with the temperature field analysis of piston.
CitationZhengbai, L., Guorong, Q., and Puning, W., "A Solution for Cylinder Wall Scuffing," SAE Technical Paper 920658, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/920658.
- Taylor, C.T. “The Internal-Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice” THE M.I.T. PRESS 1968
- Heywood, J.B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraw-Hill Book Company 1988
- Zhengbai Liu Jingwei Zhou Yueshang Li “Experimental Investigation of Film-Space Atomization Combustion in D.I. Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 901578 1990
- Zhengbai Liu “Study on Film-Space Atomization Combustion in Experiment and Theory” Dalian University of Technology 1988
- Guo, c. chen, f. “The Finite Element Method and its Application in Powering Machenary” National Defence Industry Press 1984
- Cook, R.D. “Concept and Application of Finite Element Analysis” John Wiley 1974
- Rao, S.S. “The Finite Element Method in Engineering” Pergamon Press 1982